MTNL 5G updates

Tejas01

Dream big in life.
ISP
Airtel XStream Fiber
Thats like Krissh and Krissh 3

MTNL trials for 5G, who knows if they will even be allowed to compete with "bhai".

On another note, 4G speed is 1-5 Mbps for me using Jio. Airtel used to be 65-80 Mbps last September, now 10-15 Mbps. Vi is 1-3 Mbps. Gotta love Indian politicians and business tycoons for bringing in 5G.

It is like Khaitan Fans - Bas Naam Hi Kaafi Hai.

3G to 4G speed bump was not all that great when it comes to feeling a difference everyday, but 4G brought other advancements such as VoLTE that was an improvement over 3G. 5G is not going to be that massive an improvement in India overall, save for some elite pockets in the country like always.

I do hope 5G is different 4G in real terms for us. Spectrum hai nahi, customer count badhaate chalo.. and customer can do nothing about being shortchanged for service like that. Every new customer added is going to nudge bandwidth from every other customer already on the network. Therefore, there should be a reasonable limit to the number of customers telecom providers are allowed to have for a given amount of spectrum they hold for a region, to ensure promised and consistently great service.

You want to charge higher for that, do that. At least give the service you claim to give.

@phoenix10386 I think not even 5g or 6g can give us the promised speeds , considering our population , higher spectrum prices , and our evolving data demands . And as for the limiting the people on each network, although it is a good idea , but its not possible in the sense that i feel it is a human right violation as some people will not able to get access to the internet wholly and only brings more chaos , court cases etc.

Only thing that can be help us is the massive fiber deployment , and connecting all the population hotspots like, shopping malls, theatres , etc with a wifi system backed by a good fiber backhaul, In this way congestion on the mobile network will be lower at least in the urban areas.

For rural areas i don't think any effective solution exists , as fibre deployments are costly , but i feel if the govt can complete the bharat net project succesfuly many villages etc can gain from it

@phoenix10386 I think not even 5g or 6g can give us the promised speeds , considering our population , higher spectrum prices , and our evolving data demands . And as for the limiting the people on each network, although it is a good idea , but its not possible in the sense that i feel it is a human right violation as some people will not able to get access to the internet wholly and only brings more chaos , court cases etc.

Only thing that can be help us is the massive fiber deployment , and connecting all the population hotspots like, shopping malls, theatres , etc with a wifi system backed by a good fiber backhaul, In this way congestion on the mobile network will be lower at least in the urban areas.

For rural areas i don't think any effective solution exists , as fibre deployments are costly , but i feel if the govt can complete the bharat net project succesfuly many villages etc can gain from it

I agree that limiting cannot work on moral/ ethical grounds, but see, technically, there is a limit, right, before everyone starts facing serious issues such as call drops and near-zero speeds? In other domains, we have close-ended mutual fund schemes, we have IPOs where service is on first-come-first-serve basis and it is closed when the target is achieved. If Airtel is full, people will move to Jio. If Jio is full, people will move to Vi. In other words, every player will be able to provide great service to its subscribers without a problem. When there is a problem, government should step in and provide additional spectrum when the market is saturated and needs expansion.

I am talking loosely, yes. This cannot be implemented just this way as I am saying, that would be chaotic. Something needs to be worked out.

Idea is simple - get a fair standard to everyone. Next best thing is doing that for as many as possible. If Airtel supports 100 million people, and it tries to tackle 200 million, that means deficient service for everyone involved. It behoves the government to allow more spectrum to these players so they can continue to cater to the growing demands of our population. Talking about population and its demand on our networks, I mean, just a while ago I read that someone in Gujarat tried ten times to have a boy, with the tenth being the lucky shot. Aise karenge to kahaan jaayenge humaare network.. 😒

Last edited:
3G to 4G speed bump was not all that great when it comes to feeling a difference everyday, but 4G brought other advancements such as VoLTE that was an improvement over 3G. 5G is not going to be that massive an improvement in India overall, save for some elite pockets in the country like always.
I personally think In India 3G on 2100mhz was a sham. Hardly any network.
4G on 850 band and later 900 band was major step up add the 2300/2500 band for speed we never tasted on fixed network till 2 years back.

@phoenix10386 In India, we need to go the China way and implement our own standards and spectrum allocations. You see, back during the time of 3G, China made their own 3G network called TD-SCDMA, which was based on the WCDMA we were used to, but used dynamic TDMA. What they gained are three things mainly:-

1) Reduced number of patent royalties to Western economies. Their own population was enough to justify the R&D needed to launch an entirely new system that was incompatible with the rest of the world.
2) Set the stage for LTE-TDD which China made sure was approved by the ITU and 3GPP, thereby becoming an international standard, but majority of the patents are Chinese.
3) Dynamic TDMA will continously change the time slot allocation to users meaning users who are simply latched on the network, but not actively transmitting can be given lower number of time slots, and therefore enhance the LTE experience for active users.

India can't function and offer LTE-A following Western recommendations. As per LTE-A the maximum spectrum that can be aggregated to offer LTE data is 100Mhz. This is quite insufficient in high population densities like India and China. We need to formulate our own standards and efficient spectrum usage patterns, make sure internationally it is recognized, and then go back to the system of government allocating decent amounts of non-liberalized spectrum.

@pillaicha
But even if india introduces lte a patterns exceeding the 100 mhz limit, and is standardized will the telecom gear suppliers be ready to manufacture and provide them just for indian markets? as we are heavily dependent on other countries for telecom gear supplies, isnt it, this is not problem in China as they have their own native vendors .

Also does the phone companies will be ready to support such higher ca combos, even at this end of 4g Era several mid range phones support only 2ca combos that too tdd configs,
This too can lead to another problem of abuse of networks, as people with high range phones supporting higher ca combos will consume more bandwidth causing others to.suffer., as only airtel has switched off ca in many areas including mine as soon as their subscribers base started to increase.

I was talking about R&D for later 5G and 6G networks, which must be carried out by Indian Industry forums and Research bodies so that India-specific telecommunications standards can be developed within India. Supply chain must be developed within India and end to end solutions as well. It’s not impossible and in this era, it is essential. India is the only country in the top 10 economies that doesn’t have the decent R&D (as per international or export standards) for telecommunications.

An interesting idea maybe worth considering. Wonder if jio is doing something similar? But there are so many vested interests which can scuttle any idea. I still remember the Linux flop show scuttled by the MS lobby

@pillaicha
But even if india introduces lte a patterns exceeding the 100 mhz limit, and is standardized will the telecom gear suppliers be ready to manufacture and provide them just for indian markets? as we are heavily dependent on other countries for telecom gear supplies, isnt it, this is not problem in China as they have their own native vendors .

This is one aspect of it, indeed. We do not have manufacturing in India by India for telecom. The ones we had, we scuttled them.

I think there is Tejas networks and Mahindra which were in the news when govt barred BSNL and MTNL from using Chinese gears for 4G and 5G. It's not like we don't have our own local gears. The Chinese manufacturers, with their low pricing, deeply undercut any price quoted by local gear manufacturers and hence telcos tend to opt for them instead of desi gears.
Go the Chinese way, I would say... subsidise them, give incentives to develop new gears to match international and domestic requirements.