MTNL 3G Jadoo for Apple Mac?

• Thread starter Thread starter aryayush
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 8,208

aryayush

ISP
None
Hello.I’m situated in New Delhi and want to buy one of them fancy 3G modems for my MacBook Pro. I hear MTNL offers the best service out here but just want to make sure that it’s the right choice to make.Will MTNL’s 3G service work with a Mac? What are the effective download and upload speeds? Are they anywhere near as good as advertised? Is some other ISP better than MTNL?Thank you! 🙂P.S.: I’m a newbie on this discussion board and therefore might not have been able to select the right forum to post this topic under. Please move it to whatever the appropriate section is, if not this one.

well if you are looking for a 3G solution in Delhi, MTNL is THE ONLY choice considering no other operator can provide 3G services in Delhi yet. The service is however pretty darn expensive from what i heard. And i am not sure if they provide support for the Mac platform if some dialer software is involved.

yup! they are very expensive.they charge 5 Rs per MB..And also their coverage is limited to very few areas in delhi.There aren't many user's who are using 3G.So we don't have any feedback as of now to judge the quality of service.

and of course... some people have reported that the support is terrible. they had to figure out settings for themselves as the MTNL guys had no idea what was to be done to activate the connection. and shit like that.

Ohh! so they have even messed in that front too...Let's wait to get some feedback from BSNL 3G user's..hope it will live up to expectations.

Oh, I see. Thanks a lot for all that information. 🙂So what do you guys propose? Is there any other way for me to get my notebook online while I’m out and about? Are the EDGE based connections worth the price? Do they offer speeds decent enough for me to be able to reliably log onto my company’s VPN to publish my articles?

well for simple submission of articles through a VPN might work with EDGE/GPRS based connections...the problem is connectivity for the mac. research on that.

I think I’d much sooner die than use a GPRS based connection on my Mac. 😛

Well, thanks. This seems to be a really active forum.

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Hey, is this Reliance NetConnect thingy any good?

Nope! reliance is not worth the price..And it's damn slow too..Look at other alternatives like Airtel mobile office.Although airtel's pricing is on the higher side but they are reliable than the tata's and reliance.

Hello.

I’m situated in New Delhi and want to buy one of them fancy 3G modems for my MacBook Pro. I hear MTNL offers the best service out here but just want to make sure that it’s the right choice to make.

Will MTNL’s 3G service work with a Mac? What are the effective download and upload speeds? Are they anywhere near as good as advertised? Is some other ISP better than MTNL?

Thank you! 🙂

MTNL offers the best 3G because it is the only company along with BSNL to offer 3G in India and IMO both suck 😀 . Take my advice and wait for Airtel or Vodafone to come up with their plans. I'm sure they're working on it.

MTNL does not provide a native dialer for Mac OS X and you might need to run it over Crossover and beleive me it's a PITA(Pain in the #) doing that.

Download and Upload speeds aren't as good as they are advertised. Sometimes,the speeds get so slow that you start feeling as if you're using GPRS. 2Mbps is the advertised download rate but what you get is 1.3Mbps(max) and during peak hours you're left with only 250-300Kbps.

At the moment no other ISPs match upto the speeds that MTNL provides but then again they don't have 3G services as yet.
MTNL is completely ripping off teh customers. Rs.5/MB is insane. BSNL is fine. Shame we don't have BSNL in Delhi.
Oh, I see. Thanks a lot for all that information. 🙂

So what do you guys propose? Is there any other way for me to get my notebook online while I’m out and about? Are the EDGE based connections worth the price? Do they offer speeds decent enough for me to be able to reliably log onto my company’s VPN to publish my articles?

Most of the USB EDGE devices need dialers which aren't compatible with Mac OS X. You might want to check out TATA Indicom Plut2Surf. Unlimited plan costs 799/month. Airtel and Vodafone aren't bad either.
They provide speeds of around 200Kbps. That's fine for mobile internet until 3G at competitive prices hits the scene.