Movies on a DVD Player through USB: Need Subtitles

• Thread starter Thread starter Eddy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 12,032

Eddy

ISP
Airtel
Guys, looking for a solution.I download movies using torrents on my laptop. Transfer the same to a USB drive that I hook up to my DVD player to watch a movie on my LCD.There are some movies that I want to watch with subtitles. Is there any way of doing this ? I mean downloading the subtitles separately and then somehow embed them in the movie and play it ?It can be done using VLC player when viewing it on the laptop. But how do I do it while watching it through a DVD player ???

u dont need to go through all that pain...

which format do u download the movie in? is it avi?

most of the content available online is avi. then u only need the subtitle file with the extensions like srt or sub or any other that your dvd player supports.

one of the popular sites is:

www.opensubtitles.org

here u will find subtitles for almost all english movies.

for hindi movie subtitles, u will get them from the tracker sites itself from u download the movies.

after u get the subtitles file, name it the same as the video file.

for eg.: if video file name is abcde.avi then name the subtitle as abcde.srt

thats it... copy both the avi & srt file into your pen drive & keep them both in the same folder. the dvd player will take the subtitles directly :thumb:

Well, Some DVDs allow subtitles.
I have Philips DVD Player.. dont know the model name.. I download movies and download subtitles separately. I put the Subtitle file in the Movie folder. and write them onto the DVD. I have a separate Subtitle key in the DVD Player remote when I press it, I am able to view the film with subtitles... 🙂

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

This is a very good site for Downloading Subtitles:

Subscene

Thanks Blu... tried that but it ain't working. Dated software probably ?What now ?

i guess your dvd player does not support subtitles in that case. so use the above mentioned guide to recode the videos with subtitles inside them.

Rachit: Lemme try that/ If my DVD player is intelligent and it works, then great 🙂

Edit: Its working 🙂 Though there is a lag of a second but its manageable 😀

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

i guess your dvd player does not support subtitles in that case. so use the above mentioned guide to recode the videos with subtitles inside them.

Thanks. It does support them. Guess I was worried for nothing. But tried the software that Blu mentioned. That did not work. I guess thats a 2002 s/w which is not longer compatible with the current file versions that we download.

glad that problem is resolved... not sure why the software didn't work for you, but it is not dated and it is still the software of choice for encoding subtitles many anime fansubbers use even today because it is free...

are you sure you want to play DVDs? there are better media players out there that would read of USB drives and play almost every format out there.

Exactly. Unless you really really want a DVD player, it would be worthwhile to spend a little bit more and get a media player which has far better format support.OT: All DVD players show subtitles (provided they are available of course). So you can pick anyone

^^ No. I just want to play XVID movie formats (ranging from 700mb-1.4 GB) ending with .avi extension form my pendrive to my TV.

Google

this is what i have purchased. there are cheaper models available. i went for this because it has wireless and lan support. cheaper ones would have just USB slots.

get a media player cm as low as 2800 or so...if u dnt want hd ...nd hd ones cm arnd 5k+