More than 400 million Windows 7 licenses have been sold in less than two years

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 3,839
i have oems so i have to activate it online in 30 days...
what other method r u talking about where you need not have to activate it? (Genuine)

well, it needs to be activated only once and i am sure any further discussion in this context will lead to pirated material being shared which i am sure admin wont like. all i can say is, there are methods(ofcourse not legal) using which you can activate windows and forget abt it.

well i use a pirated version too...i had got a original windows vista copy with my lap but 7 was too good to be left.The version which i am using is an install and forget one, no issues whatsoever.

400 million genuine windows sold and some in spite of having genuine are comfortable with pirated !

I was using pirated Win 7 inspite of having genuine Vista. Gt my mistake corrected a month back and Now I actually feel the difference 🙂

somehow i feel some users here are favoring pirated windows over genuine inspite of having genuine...cant understand the reason !

i can tell you my experience. i got my copy of W7 through a friend who works in Microsoft USA. he still has my media. i downloaded the ISO from the net and used the serial key he sent me. last year, i updated my desktop. as expected, windows activation kicked in (motherboard replacement). it asked me to reauthenticate. the key did not work. it required me to call in microsoft call center for some verification information. i called up microsoft india call center. explained to him that i do not have the media. but this is a legit copy. this is my serial number and so on. the dude literally accused me of piracy. told me that i would need to have media in my hands. found out that they need some number codes on the media disks for verification. i got the exact details from the friend who has my DVDs. called in again. gave him the details. the dude said this copy has been activated several times. and i am pirating it. more accusations. got annoyed and frustrated. no use. used skype to call in to US based MS number. used an automated mechanism. it worked. i got some numbers that re-validated my Windows.

^ Whoa! He bluntly accused you of piracy? When you changed your motherboard it's obvious that you will have trouble validating your copy.And it could leave an impression that you are trying to act smart, but he just accused you of piracy? Actually, the EULA for OEM Windows Product Keys states that we are not really supposed to attempt the following: 1) Retire an old system or motherboard 2) Use the same OEM Product Key from the old system

it was not an OEM edition. it was a retail boxed edition of Windows 7 Ultimate.

just because i did not have the media with me, it made me a pirate.

i told him that my friend has the disks and he works in microsoft. no use.

the only alternative he offered me was to send them proof of purchase by sending scanned copies of the bills and so on.

i mean what the F. windows 7 had virtual downloads from what i remember. not everyone even got the media with it.

later realized that it was idiotic on my part to tell him the whole story. should have just told him the codewords from the media. but my second call proved that even that was not good enough. their system showed multiple activations (made no sense because i never ever shared my key with ANYONE). only my friend and me has it.

----------

i am actually worried about the time i would need to reinstall Win7.

i hope that they now have my new hardware configuration connected to my serial number.

if not, i would have to go through the US call process once again.

i am hoping this installation lasts for another year and a half so that i can migrate to Win8 directly. 😀

I had activated my windows 7 by calling some indian toll free number. No human appeared, got activated by IVR.

And those who use pirated one don't have to do all these things. They just keep changing Serial Numbers and enjoy. And the Genuine one are trouble for being Genuine. what a crap !!!

PS: I installed Win 7 on VirtualBox 😀 and got it activated too!

Same thing goes with Retail version(perhaps) it is locked to the BIOS or the MAC address.You can activate by phone and get a new serial free of charge.But, when you have Desi a@holes who just accuse you of piracy, man! I am all ready with my hockey to beat the shit out of them.

heh. i assume that they get too many calls from people who are:1. ignorant about using pirated windows2. trying to convert a pirated windows to legitit was disgusting of course... i was very annoyed that day.

an oem is married to a hardware and expires if the hardware dies.