• Thread starter Thread starter meaculpa
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 3,478

meaculpa

Regular
ISP
tata indicom vsnl
It rained cats and dogs in Mumbai yesterday. Pre-monsoon showers. Traffic jams at midnight on most major roads - as usual city went slightly mad. The moment of truth approaches - how terrible is the DTH transmission really going to be? What if lightening strikes the dish? Will the broadband stop working in the deluge? If we are going to be marooned in our houses, lets at least hope we can browse the net in peace!

Not so soon in Delhi 🙁

Not so soon in Delhi 🙁

Aww .and I don't want monsoons to come before my exams are over .

It's like Scarlett Johansson finally decided to pose topless and God was the only photographer available. *flash flash flash flash flash flash flash*Love the rains but lightning is definitely going to be a problem. Hathway actually asks its users to disconnect their modems during thunderstorms, bit ironic when you're trapped indoors with nothing to do. Around 4 years back one of Hathway's main lines got hit pretty badly by lightning and lots of users got their equipment fried. Wonder which is dumber... touching the cable trying to disconnect it during a thunderstorm or just leaving it alone. 😱

Yes, the lightning was going strong yesterday. I have already assumed that my broadband connectivity will get affected at least part of the time (foregone conclusion!) but what I am really curious about is what will happen to Tata Sky. One of the CAS operators was doing some hard sell advertising saying that CAS is better as it will be unaffected by rains.

yep tataindicom had gone awry yesterday night during rain. but MTNL was just perfect!

^^^ Yes Mtnl doesn't require lightning to go down. 😉 😛

aahh.....i was having fun yesterday. i just love lightning! 😀 :O :Sthats what i like during this time of the year. lightning and thundering!

If we are going to be marooned in our houses, lets at least hope we can browse the net in peace!

addict! 😗

Am just kidding alright? 🙂

Well, MTNL works just well. They dont have overhead wires for the lightning to strike. Their junction boxes are metal which will allow the electricity to pass safely into the ground so no damage done to equipment.

Can't say much about 7star ( a.k.a. VSNL / TATA BB ), Sify, Reliance Powersurfer, Reliance broadband, Hathway, Iqara and rest of the other small time stupid ISPs 😛

It's like Scarlett Johansson finally decided to pose topless and God was the only photographer available. *flash flash flash flash flash flash flash*

since when u've been wishing that??? :rofl:

Wonder which is dumber... touching the cable trying to disconnect it during a thunderstorm or just leaving it alone. 😱

touching the (covered/inhouse) cable won't do any harm...i guess u know why...

Lightning and what about it

By counting the seconds between the flash and the thunder and dividing by 5, an estimate of the distance to the strike (in miles) can be made.

In the good old days, when i had a local isp providing me internet via a CAT-5 cable strung across the streets and trees. I would ocassionaly go to the window and start counting, after i saw the flash. If the timing between the thunder & the flashes got shorter, it was time to disconnect, if it stayed the same, then the cloud was passing at some distance and would not affect me.

now i dont care, there are lightning arrestors in the junction boxes and the cable itself is armoured and securely underground. :yahoo:

That's interesting! Incidentally, is there anyway to estimate distance if there is only lightning and little or no thunder? Yesterday I saw hell of a lot of lightning but it was mostly silent

@ coolbuddy: Are you saying that the outer rim of the coaxial cable - the part with the grooves that let it wind onto the model - doesn't conduct electricity? Coz I always thot it did.Reg Scarlett: You don't wanna know! :ashamed😡viralbug: I love the thunder & lightning too though it freaks my poor dog out badly.@blr_p: I always knew you cud tell how far it was by comparing flash & thunder but never knew the calculation... pretty cool! 🙂 You just love playing with numbers, don't you? 😛

^ oh those poor little dogs! i feel really sad for them, the get so scared. 🙁i knew about that distance thing. 🙂you can divide by 5 for miles and then multiply by 1.6 for km ie directly multiply by 0.32 approximately for km. 🙂

That's interesting! Incidentally, is there anyway to estimate distance if there is only lightning and little or no thunder? Yesterday I saw hell of a lot of lightning but it was mostly silent

My guess,was that it was happening at a great distance so you could not hear the thunder, light can travel far, i would not worry too much about that.

Or you can also get occasional discharges high up in the clouds, its when you hear the sound that a *major* discharge has taken place. Cos the air heats up intensely during a lightning spike and the only way to dissipate that energy is through sound.

^ oh those poor little dogs! i feel really sad for them, the get so scared. 🙁

I think also since their hearing is so sensitive,maybe its 10 times louder for them and they have no way to effectively cup their ears like we do, they still try tho.

I dont feel sorry for them, damn strays have kept me up for many a night and so i welcome the rains with open arms, the dogs can't hang out late at night anymore and i find the ambient sound of rainfall very relaxing to sleep.