Modi Government fixing quantity of food to be served at hotels and restaurants

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Eat what you order: Government to fix portions of food served in hotels

The NDA government is preparing to fix portion sizes of dishes served by star hotels and restaurants, a fortnight after Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed concern about wastage of food in his monthly Mann Ki Baat radio programme.
“If a person can eat only two prawns, why should he or she be served six? If a person eats two idlis, why serve four! It’s wastage of food and also money people pay for something that they don’t eat,” said Ram Vilas Paswan, minister of consumer affairs, food and public distribution.
“They are the experts. They should tell us the maximum amount of a dish a person can eat. You go to a Chinese restaurant; they give you so much (of food). We are going to call them (stakeholders) for a meeting. The PM is concerned about food wastage and so we are going to issue instructions to these hotels (about the amount of food to be served),” Paswan told HT on Monday.
He, however, clarified the instructions would be applicable to “standard hotels” and not dhabas that “usually serve thalis”.
Paswan’s latest move comes in addition to a slew of consumer-centric proposals that the ministry has incorporated in a new draft bill to amend Consumer Protection Act.
The draft bill is at present under law ministry’s consideration. In the new bill, the government has dropped the provision for imprisonment of celebrities for misleading advertisements; instead, a jail term has been proposed for producers or manufacturers.
As per the new proposal, if the producer is found responsible for misleading ads, the punishment would range from a fine to cancellation of license to a jail term, depending on the frequency of the offence.

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
Jul 3, 2006
Mumbai
This government believes in making everything compulsory and within limits!

Bind and bound the citizens!

To me it looks like "LEGAL" way to serve less by charging more.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
honestly if they make a rule that makes it mandatory for restaurant to serve the quantity of food customer desires and charge for specifically that amount, i would be happy about that. i like to go out to eat alone and i have to avoid proper restaurants because it is impossible to order food that would be just for one individual. suppose, i went to an indian restaurant... usually i would order one curry and eat it and pack the leftover. i would prefer to be able to order 2 types of sabzis in quantity suitable for a single person and pay just for that. wishful thinking.

one example. there is a south indian restaurant in my local market. they only offer boneless curry in mutton large. so i always have to order large even when i am alone. now it is not really a problem because i get the rest of the stuff packed for home. but if they could just offer me half plate boneless mutton curry, it just makes it easy for me to enjoy my food without making plans on how to deal with leftover curry.

Last edited:

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
Jul 3, 2006
Mumbai
Yes but now whats going to happen is ... if earlier they served 4 chapati per thali.

Then now thali will have just 2 chapati (because Government may just fix it to 2)

So then u pay for 2 more chapati that u want.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
the idea behind the move is to avoid wastage. restaurants would of course require to charge less for lesser quantity. the whole concept is based on the problem that a lot of places would serve too much curry most of which is wasted. it happens a lot with me at murthal dhabas. and the case i mentioned above. diet is not universal. i eat a lot more than my mom or my dad. but yeah, remains to be seen what kind of nonsense comes out of this.

Reactions: Pratikk

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
Jul 3, 2006
Mumbai
I think this is how it should be instead of doing all sorts of survey etc.

Simply ask each hotel to have 3 versions of each menu item:
  1. Mini (say 30% less than normal and charged 20% less considering fixed cost of cooking)
  2. Normal (regular cost)
  3. Large (say 30% more than normal and charged 30% more)
The person who orders the food it supposed to finish his plate. Or else pay 20% extra for food wastage.

Reactions: SVK and Neo8

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
yup. S/M/L variants lol. maybe let the consumer ask for quantity in milliliters. lol. penalizing people for leaving food would be stupid because what can one do if food sucks?

Reactions: SVK