Modem takes long time to connect - Need Help

swordfish123

ISP
bsnl ul900+
Hi guys,

I have been using bsnl broadband for a long time now. Everything was working fine until I recently moved to a new house.

I am using Netgear DG834Gv5 ADSL modem.

In my new house the main connection is given on the terrace, and from there there are internal connection to about 5 sockets to different rooms. I have not connected any telephone as the telephone line has to be taken from the ADSL splitter.

But even then i am facing an issue. My modem takes long time to connect. The DSL light keeps blinking for a long time before connecting. It is taking around 20 - 30 mins. In my old house it used to take only 2 mins.

But once it gets connected the speed is good. I am getting the speed of 1Mbps (ULF1000 plan). Also if i restart the modem again it gets connected quickly. Only if the modem is disconnected for a long time and i try to connect it takes about 20 mins.

Here are the SNR and Attenation details.
System Up Time 00:40:17
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoE 12673 16485 0 1188 9472 00:31:25
LAN 100M/Full 18116 15964 0 7718 1155 00:40:00
WLAN -- -- -- -- -- -- --

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2048 kbps 512 kbps
Line Attenuation 56.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 13.0 db 20 db

Since i was using the same modem and the setting i do not suspect this is a modem issue. I think there is some problem with the internal wiring. But i do not hear any cracking noise when i use the telephone. It is clear. Please give me some inputs.

Hi guys,

I have been using bsnl broadband for a long time now. Everything was working fine until I recently moved to a new house.

I am using Netgear DG834Gv5 ADSL modem.

In my new house the main connection is given on the terrace, and from there there are internal connection to about 5 sockets to different rooms. I have not connected any telephone as the telephone line has to be taken from the ADSL splitter.

But even then i am facing an issue. My modem takes long time to connect. The DSL light keeps blinking for a long time before connecting. It is taking around 20 - 30 mins. In my old house it used to take only 2 mins.

But once it gets connected the speed is good. I am getting the speed of 1Mbps (ULF1000 plan). Also if i restart the modem again it gets connected quickly. Only if the modem is disconnected for a long time and i try to connect it takes about 20 mins.

Here are the SNR and Attenation details.

Since i was using the same modem and the setting i do not suspect this is a modem issue. I think there is some problem with the internal wiring. But i do not hear any cracking noise when i use the telephone. It is clear. Please give me some inputs.

Line Attenuation 56.5 db 31.5 db
D/L attn is very high. call Bsnl CC or check cables. connectors.
Try new Rj11 short cable as well as Rj45.
black contacts/oxidization high resistance contacts.
Change to GDMT mode for slight improvement.
One telephone can be connected after the ADSl splitter for impedence matching/
( whether used or not )
feedback.