Modem and Portal password getting changed by itself?

• Thread starter Thread starter kkdeep000
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 7,523

kkdeep000

ISP
BSNL
Hi , I have BSNL broadband from last 6 months (Bangalore). I have this strange problem that the Modem and portal password will change automatically. So the Modem will start giving authentication failure and i can't check my usage either. I will have to call BSNL customer care (1800-424-1600) everytime to get it reset. It works for couple of days and again changs automatically. The CC refuse to accept this problem and are instead saying that i have changed the password. But i do not change password. This happens more frequently when it rains. The downstream SNR varies from 9.8db to 12db (if that matters). Any help would be apprecaited. --ThanksKuldeep

no it is nothing to do with SNR, post your modem model/make and use save reboot option after putting the usernam and password in the modem configuration page You should change your modem's default password and disable remote access immediately too.

no it is nothing to do with SNR, post your modem model/make and use save reboot option after putting the usernam and password in the modem configuration page You should change your modem's default password and disable remote access immediately too.
Thanks for the reply. The Modem model is UT300R2U. I had not changed the default password thinking that the Modem cannot be accessed remotely. I will look into the model page to see if I can disable remote access.

--Thanks
Kuldeep

I have this strange problem that the Modem and portal password will change automatically.
1.Modem 192.168.1.1 admin Password : usually admin or password
2.Say Your BSNL UserID kkd1234 Password kkdq1d4
3.Your Portal ID ( USAGE) 14 digit abc12345032008 password : password.

If you use a dialer ( "Bridged") you enter (2) password kkdqd4.
If you have PPPoE "Always on" (2) entered in the Modem's WAN page.

Not clear which password changes.
or in both (1)and (2)change.

I use PPPoE
Both password change.

--Thanks
Kuldeep

enter your username and password for pppoe "save and reboot" the modem ..now change your default password "save and reboot" and after boot your when modem will come up with the username and password (for pppoe as well the password to access the modem ) you entered before the boot and will remain same until you change it manually.

1.Modem 192.168.1.1 admin Password : usually admin or password
2.Say Your BSNL UserID kkd1234 Password kkdq1d4
3.Your Portal ID ( USAGE) 14 digit abc12345032008 password : password.

If you use a dialer ( "Bridged") you enter (2) password kkdqd4.
If you have PPPoE "Always on" (2) entered in the Modem's WAN page.

Sorry for the goofup in my earlier post. (2) and (3) in above change. I am able to login to the Modem from 192.168.1.1 i.e. (1) does not change.

-Kuldeep

The Modem model is UT300R2U.
1.Assuming , some one is accessing your modem settings
( very difficult as your Dynamic IP changes often ), to
prevent access to your USERID and Password (UI)
Use dialer mode.
2.In WAN page select "BRIDGED" SAVE reboot.
3.Wait for two or three minutes.
4.Create a PPPoE dialer.
PPPoE DIALER INSTALLATION
5.Now nobody can access your password(UI) normally.
6Test for a day.
7.Access your Usage Portal with 14digit ID and PW as password.
8.Then changing modem access PW later.
Feedback please.

REFERENCE: ( Save to Bookmarks )
UT-300R2U ADSL MODEM MENU

The Modem model is UT300R2U.
1.Assuming , some one is accessing your modem settings
( very difficult as your Dynamic IP changes often ), to
prevent access to your USERID and Password (UI)
Use dialer mode.
2.In WAN page select \"BRIDGED\" SAVE reboot.
3.Wait for two or three minutes.
4.Create a PPPoE dialer.
PPPoE DIALER INSTALLATION
5.Now nobody can access your password(UI) normally.
6Test for a day.
7.Access your Usage Portal with 14digit ID and PW as password.
8.Then changing modem access PW later.
Feedback please.
REFERENCE: ( Save to Bookmarks )
UT-300R2U ADSL MODEM MENU

The only way to change the Broadband and Portal password is from the portal itself i.e. from BSNL - Broadband Account Management Correct me. So even if somebody can log into my modem The only useful information he can get is the BSNL user id as password is not shown and all astriks. Probably he/she already knows the user id. So I will have to change the default password used for logginng into portal. i have changed it in the past but it still changes somehow (or by someone??) .
However i am using PPPoE for 6 months now. I will give Bridged mode a try. I was not able to get the passwords reset yesterday because of some server issue at BSNL end. i will give it a try today.

--Thanks for your time.
Kuldeep

in the modem the firmware the login pass can be easily seen using the source of that page in notepad.😛

Hi ,Got the service and portal password reset and changed them. Changed the modem password. I am not able to setup the modem in Bridge mode. The dialer gives 678 error. I think i need to disable DHCP in modem and look at the IP settings on the PC. I will give it a try today. I could not find out how to disable the remote Login to the modem.I will wait and watch to see if the password get reset again.Thanks for all your help.Kuldeep