Mobile Operators opposing TRAI proposal on mobile services activation

Navjot Singh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Airtel
Private telecom operators Airtel, Reliance Jio, Vodafone and Idea Cellular have opposed telecom regulator TRAI's proposal to protect consumers from default activation of mobile internet services that often leads to 'bill shocks'.

The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India ( TRAI) came out with draft rules on May 12 proposing that operators should not activate mobile internet service without explicit consent of consumers and it should be deactivated on sending an SMS to toll free number 1925.

While TRAI's consumer survey form counts mobile internet services as a value added service, some telecom operators in their replies to the regulator wanted it to be considered among basic telecom service so that the data services can be activated by default in the connection.

Only BSNL and MTNL have accepted the proposal without any objection. Videocon and Aircel have accepted as well but they have different opinions.

Airtel, Reliance Jio, Vodafone and Idea oppose TRAI proposal on mobile data connection - The Economic Times

lol.

Data connection can be fine (subjective matter), but Jokes, News Alerts, Caller Ringtones should not be allowed to activated by default.

Why are they complicating things?

Simply say this:

Anything where balance is deducted can not be activated by default without user consent.

But "pay per use" service can be activated by default provided it has zero rental and user is sent activation SMS along with information on how to deactivate it, if user does not want to use it (to prevent accidental use)

Right. Enable PAYG data only when the user explicitly requests it.

Enable data by default on subscribing to a data pack. Disable data, moment pack ends. User can then send an activation message for PAYG data.

Obviously no telco is going to support this [emoji14]

To overcome this problem I have different sim for data and voice, best use of dual sim phone.
And I have two data sim which I recharge and use depending on offer I get.