Minimum internet plan required, only for video calls and some browsing.

• Thread starter Thread starter v1v14n
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 4,450

v1v14n

ISP
Spectranet
Hello friends, One of my neighbors is looking for an internet plan. They are an elderly couple, recently their son from abroad sent them a tab that has only wifi connection, so that they can have video calls with them when needed. They dont have any pc or laptop. My guess is its the first time they would be using internet.Since I use spectranet and its quite good at my place i suggested them the same, where as their friends and relatives gave them other suggestions. They are yet to make a decision.So my question is, in terms of speed what is the minimun speed plan required to make video calls over skype and how much data one would consume over calls with little browsing in a month? I need to know so that I can suggest them a limited plan that is economical as well.Thanks!

Mtnl. Simply to avoid bill related hassles. And budget?

atleast 512kbps but i would recommend 1 mbps. I guess 5-10 GB of data would be consumed

Thanks guys,No budget, but basically it should serve their purpose, speed and data usage wise,anything else i think it would be a waste. Yes one of their options is BSNL too.

Alright. If cost isn't big issue, get them a bsnl fup plan at 1/2mbps. If you can vouch for Spectranet's billing, that'd prolly be better.

An update, bsnl is out. Checked up fivenet as well, they opted for spectranet. Fivenet was offering 512 unlimited for 600 p.m where as spectranet gives 512 kbps Day/1 Mbps Night unlimited for 450.Now another issue is, the ISP would be installing the Wifi router for which he is charging 2000 Includes router/ installation and wifi set up. I dont have much idea about setting up wifi, any thing I need to know about wifi routers in particular or any wifi router would be fine??

If their Tablet has a SIM SLOT, just get them a 3G connection from MTNL/BSNL. They can use 3G for their needs and if it is only video calls, this is best, will work from anywhere. You can get them a prepaid and their son can recharge it for them online...

If their Tablet has a SIM SLOT, just get them a 3G connection from MTNL/BSNL. They can use 3G for their needs and if it is only video calls, this is best, will work from anywhere. You can get them a prepaid and their son can recharge it for them online...
No it doesnt have a SIM slot, that's the reason. I would also have suggested the same, SIM with 3G is the best option.

No idea about that, will ask the provider tomorrow. Anything specific I need to check before, any particular brand, cos I have zero knowledge when it comes to wifi routers?

If they are just next to you and well known to you then why not share it via wifi. You ppl can share cost also.Instead of paying for another connection they can pay u, u can enjoy better plan with xtra amnt.

If they are just next to you and well known to you then why not share it via wifi. You ppl can share cost also.Instead of paying for another connection they can pay u, u can enjoy better plan with xtra amnt.
That's a good suggestion, I had thought about it too. Currently I use broadband on my laptop, and through the connectify software I use it as a wifi hotspot for my tab and my sisters phone. Just for trial purpose, i switched on my lappy and had gone to the neighbors house to check if he is getting the signal there, unfortunately the signal wasnt reaching his place. So what would u suggest to increase the signal range,should we get a wifi router collectively, will that work??

I think a router to cover 2 flats will cost a lot. In my house, between my bedroom and my hall, I have 2 routers with the hall acting as a repeater. This is at a distance of about 20 feet max. Maybe its overkill, not sure, but I dont feel comfortable, if I see 1 or 2 bars in signal strength 🙂
Personally, to avoid later heartburn, I would just get them a separate router and connection.