Microsoft Should Abandon Vista?

Apoorv Khatreja

Super Loser
ISP
Reliance Thunder 1099 4 Mbps UL
An editorial written by Don Reisinger over at CNet's News.com takes Microsoft to task for the outright failure of Vista. He suggests that Vista may be the downfall of the company as, despite years in development, Vista was delivered to market too early. His suggestion? Support those who are running it, but otherwise ditch Vista and move on. 'Never before have I seen such an abysmal start to an operating system release. For almost a year, people have been adopting Vista and becoming incensed by how poorly it operates. Not only does it cost too much, it requires more to run than XP, there is still poor driver support ... With Mac OS X hot on its tail, Vista is simply not capable of competing at an OS level with some of the best software around. If Microsoft continues down this path, it will be Vista that will bring the software giant to its knees--not Bill Gates' departure.

Source: Slashdot | Microsoft Should Abandon Vista?

Because of the negative reviews, many corporations too, have decided to stick with XP, rather than upgrading. Some have started moving to Linux, too.

vista is not going anywhere... xp had issues till the time sp2 was delivered. sp1 of vista is going to fix most of the issues. beta reviewers are already very impressed by the sp1.

I have to say I have doubts about Vista myself. I have tried the beta and one of the original editions (in a vm). The UAC bugged me to no end. Explorer was a nightmare. It is nothing like XP. Maybe I don't want to learn. But there are too many issues. The other day I was trying to network a Vista laptop to one of my xp pcs and it took me a hour to do it (simply not used to it). Finally realised that some insane firewall was blocking access.

I am absolutely dreading testing my applications for Vista compatibility even though I pay attention to stuff like not writing to the pf dir, keeping application data separate etc.

Maybe sp1 will fix these things, just maybe. But I am not going in that direction till I read favorable reviews of the final SP1.

i got it at a massive discount but i am sure i would not have purchased it at market price. and i am not installing it before i get a new machine. but i have used vista on a friend's machine and i dont find it that bad.

I am currently using Vista on my machine and yes it has issues like Windows XP did on its launch. XP got comparatively stable with its SP1 release and SP2 made it the best OS release of Microsoft.I am currently a beta tester for SP1 of Vista and was also part of the Vista Beta testing team. My few days of use of SP1, I can safely say with SP1, Vista is taking the stability path......yes SP1 still has some bugs but then SP1 is still in beta and will get better on release. So wait for SP1, I am sure Vista would become another Windows XP!!!@Gregory: Yes, the UAC can be irritating for most people but it can be turned Off easily, even I have turned it off since I dont like to click "Continue" for whatever I do..................

Revisited Vista after six months. Took 10 minutes to configure it to my satisfaction, turned off UAC and a bunch of other things. Got the file and other menus back in the process. Am still not satisfied with explorer coz I miss the tree view. They messed up combining the tasks and tree view in explorer. And what happened to the clean address bar? Have to fiddle around with the step-bar (whatever that is called) and only after clicking on an arrow can I type in stuff. Have not yet tried running any serious apps in it. Who knows what will break and how badly.Anyway, I am far-far away from even considering it for daily use. Makes a nice test piece, though.

Microsoft seems to have a tradition of releasing Crappy OSes and then only get it right after SP2case and point Win XP and Win 98Win ME was,is and will be a disaster foreverI never used Comps extensively before win98 🙁so cant say much about 3.1 and 95

Have used 3.1 briefly. Couldn't understand head or tail of what was going on. Win 98 was and still is a good OS considering the time it was released.

Yes Win98 SE was a good OS at its time. Windows ME was the biggest blunder Microsoft made and nothing could repair the damage it did to their image but Vista is not another ME for sure.It will improve gradually like Skorpio1 rightly said MS has history of not releasing a stable OS on first attempt. Service Packs have become a compulsory part of Microsoft OS releases..........

And it doesnt help MS's image that Vista is always compared to the MAC OS, and how a lot of MAC features were simply just copied. But why after 5 years and a whole lot of money, could they still not come out with something respectable ?

i got it at a massive discount but i am sure i would not have purchased it at market price. and i am not installing it before i get a new machine. but i have used vista on a friend's machine and i dont find it that bad.

Sushubh, May i know from where you got Vista and for how much. I want you buy a Genuine copy and all are quoting price above 10.5K for Home Premium. 😡

would have to clean this thread.

Ya right else ur PM box will be full of requests not just from india but across the globe!!!!! :wall:

dunno but a lot of people get it for cheap some way or the other. msdn memberships for example.