Microsoft OneDrive

SkyDrive for Windows released

SkyDrive for the Windows desktop (preview available now). View and manage your personal SkyDrive directly from Windows Explorer on Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista with this new preview app available in 106 languages worldwide.

Fetching files through SkyDrive.com. Easily access, browse, and stream files from a remote PC running the preview app to just about anywhere by simply fetching them via SkyDrive.com.

SkyDrive storage updates. A new, more flexible approach to personal cloud storage that allows power users to get additional paid storage as their needs grow.

Big changes in store for SkyDrive (Update: Officially Launched) - Neowin

Making personal cloud storage for Windows available anywhere, with the new SkyDrive - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

The free storage has been to reduced 7GB to new users. Old users can reclaim their 25GB storage by going to https://skydrive.live.com/#!/ManageStorage?lu=1

i restored my account to 25GB. clever bullcrap from microsoft. anyone with a Live ID should do it right now. so that they get 25GB free storage permanently.

^^I'm not having the option to restore to 25GB :! BTW I have old live ID but never used SkyDrive before...

ah. i guess you do not have the option because you never used it before. sad.

Thanks to the link, I reclaimed my 25GB. I will be needing it pretty soon

Microsoft has announced a number of new features have been added to its cloud storage service, SkyDrive – including Dropbox-like functionality.

IMP:
Unfortunately, Microsoft is giving with one hand and taking away with the other. New SkyDrive users will find that free storage has decreased from 25GB to just 7GB. If you are an existing user, then you need to head over to SkyDrive.com and go to the Manage Storage page to keep hold of you 25GB free storage.

Microsoft SkyDrive cloud storage gets Dropbox-like features boost | News | TechRadar

Skydrive is quite unknown inspite of having been around for years now. Irony considering a cash rich company like MS is backing it. Now if they can put in the right push and come up with a nice syncing strategy like Dropbox (or buy out the company itself), it would be a major win for them in their cloud strategy

socrates brother. we avoid starting a new thread for every news about popular topics. this has already been posted so i am merging it with the regular thread.

Haha, they forgot the *. Luckily I managed to login that day when they downgraded users to 7GB, so I still have the 25 Gigs

same here. might come handy when i move on to windows 8. google is unlikely to be able to offer the same level of integration that skydrive would have on windows 8. 🤔

I have already used Skydrive a few times to access files not explicitly on the drive and it has been pretty smooth I should say.

my backup on google drive is nearing 70GB. skydrive is not an option for me coz i am paying for google drive. paid skydrive is of course cheaper than google right now :Confuzzled:

one thing i love about google drive is the ocr they perform on the files stored on it. it handle images as well. it manages to find text in android screenshot and billboards in regular photos. it's pretty cool. 😀

just ran another check. it found this image for a search for gurgaon.

filename: picplz 2011-03-17 09.22.38.jpg

https://imgur.com/RVGiT

Wasn't aware of the OCR thing. Is it only for paid users or for those who have the free storage too?