• Thread starter Thread starter socrates
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2,755

socrates

I got banned!
ISP
Jio Fiber. FTTH
Important for all those who have a Windows Mobile phone or are planning to buy one soon. 🙁
If you were hoping that your newly-purchased Windows Phone 8 device would be supported by Microsoft for ages, you’re in for a shocker. A quick search for Windows Phone on Microsoft’s Product Lifecycle page shows that the company plans to halt mainstream support for the operating system in 2014. You won’t be the only ones left out in the dark though. The same page also shows the company halting support for Windows Phone 7.8 two months after the support for WP8 has stopped.
http://tech2.in.com/news/smartphones/microsoft-may-end-support-for-windows-phone-8-windows-phone-78-in-2014/830162

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;]"Microsoft will make updates available for the Operating System on your phone, including security updates, for a period of 18 months after the lifecycle start date. Distribution of the updates may be controlled by the mobile operator or the phone manufacturer from which you purchased your phone. Update availability will also vary by country, region, and hardware capabilities."[/color]
In basic terms:
WP7.8 [color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;background-color:rgb(243,243,243);]> Supported until fall 2014 (with potential for ANOTHER major update - but this is just a rumour)[/color]
WP8 [color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;background-color:rgb(243,243,243);]> Supported until summer 2014 (which by that time, WP9 will most likely be released already). If you want to continue to receive updates, you will need to upgrade to WP9 (which you ARE eligible for).[/color]
WP9 [color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;background-color:rgb(243,243,243);]> The next 18 months starts.[/color]

I think its normal process for all software products. Support is provided for limited time (from 1 year to 5 years).
MS has just released info about support.
WP8 will have no issue if they could get upgraded to WP9. Only losers would be WP7 owners. Please advise everybody dont go for WP7 phone now.

I wonder if they have shot themselves in the foot & Nokia in the head 🙂 considering they dont have much of a fan following. Remember what happened to Nokia when they announced they wont support Symbian 60 !!!!!

Not sure what the problem is. WP8 devices would get updated to WP8.x or WP9.x.

I don't know why there is such a hue and cry. Every OS be it desktop or mobile has a support period. Even Android OS don't get upgrades after a certain time. They have not shot themselves in the foot. Windows Phone 8 will probably get a upgrade. And in recent times, Mobile Tech is moving way 2 fast. By the time you decide to buy a mobile, a better one gets released.

SVK said:
I think its normal process for all software products. Support is provided for limited time (from 1 year to 5 years).
MS has just released info about support.
WP8 will have no issue if they could get upgraded to WP9. Only losers would be WP7 owners. Please advise everybody dont go for WP7 phone now.
The support Win 7 has got is also long one. And we will still get it till September 9th, 2014 unlike Andriod Phones where most of the low range devices are still on Gingerbread