Microsoft Defender

That's right. But two points:

To end user it does not make any difference. As long as visiting a website can allow webmasters to install anything on your PC. It is Opera's fault to ship 7.x version of flash even though 8.x has been around for quite some time. All it takes a hacker who is willing to pay some ad service to place a flash ad and any Opera user is at risk (if they are careless enough to run browser with admin privileges). Of course people on this forum should not be on that category?

I had say, its macromedia who should make flash plugins upgrade themselves.

And if Opera guys are really so quick an providing patches then why take that much time. Firefox and Even IE had this (Flash) update last month.

I doubt Firefox and IE can update flash plugins on their own. I really dont remember Firefox or IE telling me to upgrade my Flash plugin.

Overall, it just a chance that is is vulnerable at this point of time and default installs of IE/Firefox are not affected by same vulnerability, situation could have been reverse as well.

From what I see, the existing bugs in Firefox are pretty scarier than Opera's bug which are really bugs with third party plugins 😛

Sushubh,

Seems that you have been using it for quite some time. Do you have any tips on sandboxing Opera? I would like to give it a try, but I am too afraid to run any browser unless I know for sure that it can not run code on my system even if someone is able to exploit vulnerability.

I know a couple of really smart people working in Opera. I trust them pretty much. If they tell me that Opera is secure enough... I had believe them! You just have to keep track of the latest versions and keep upgrading to them.

And have you used voice features of Opera, just read on the site about it. Is it good enough to take care of crappy html pages? From what I read it seems that it might be able to read aloud arbitrary pages. Is that the case?

Absolutely no idea.

Lets all remember one point. No software is absolutely secure. IE/Firefox/Opera are vulnerable to some or the other attack at any given point. Right now, Firefox's share is rising and thus the holes are being detected at a faster pace. IE being the most widely used browser has a lot of vulnerabilities. This is a combination of bad programming and being the prime target of crackers / hackers. As opposed to all this Opera has recently gone free. It's share is too little for it to be very attractive to hackers / crackers. Hence, the less holes and less exploits. Give it some time. You will see the attacks against Opera rising.But right now I must agree with Sushubh, Opera is the most secure browser. AND Macromedia is responsible for the vulnerability and NOT Opera.

considering they are fast with their latest roll outs, and they have a paid team working 24 hours on it. i had say, they would be the fastest to be out with the security fixes if any discovered in time.microsoft has too much on its platter to be serious about IE. Firefox has an arrogant team leading the open source programmers.

hopefully IE7 will REALLY be standards complaint! I get a headache trying to write CSS / HTML to work in FF, IE, Opera! 😕

The IE 7 that they have for XP is going to be different from the built in one that will come with Vista!

that too. nothing will be spared. Everything is going to change in vista...

from what i know rendering engine remains the same in a particular version number. vista would have extra security. a gimmick MS using to tell corporate to upgrade.

Originally posted by Sushubh@Nov 14 2005, 11:42 PM
a gimmick MS using to tell corporate to upgrade...
[snapback]31953[/snapback]
[/quote]

In our company, (one of Fortune 100) Vista is not going to be deployed before 2008. Not even on new PCs. Won't hurt Microsoft though, all Fortune 100 (even most of Fortune 1000) pay them volume licensing fees anyways.

what is it in vista that would even make them move to it? ok 3 years is a long time. but really... what is vista bringing which is not available to corporates currently.heh i did read that report from gartner.

Most of the corporates are not even on complete SP 2. Microsoft had to provide them with piecemeal versions of SP2. Since they have dedicated security teams anyway so their needs are different.

hmm...vista is looking good. But I think its too....bloated....(no offense to Windows supporters). I mean, an OS is supposed to be just a layer between the user and the hardware! It's not supposed to have requirements like min. 256MB AGP / PCI Express card and 1GB of RAM?!