Microsoft Defender

what do you mean by rootkits? Things similar to Sony rootkit or specifically Sony rootkit?

security companies are i believe still contemplating whether to consider Sony's rool kit a security hazard. they should now do it coz hackers have already using their technology... microsoft defender would be detecting the rool kits for what they are... not specifically sony.

but considering they are not a malware company. they would have a chance to fix their misdeeds.

Oh this has gone too far already! I can't imagine they had guts to do it! 🙁

they are idiots. with so many smart people around it was stupid to install hidden software in people's PC.

hehe. they made fools of themselves by doing this. I remember, netscape made a fool out of themselves when they had released version 7 (or was it 8?) of their browser. They had touted it as the most secure browser and the very next day they had to release a patch for some security issue 😉. I remember the embarassment that netscape faced!!

firefox claims to be the safest browser around. secunia still reports flaws in it. opera has no flaws unfixed on secunia.

there were flaws but they are patched up pretty quick..... Opera will have flaws detected as it gets more popular 😉

opera is pretty popular enough for the flaws to be detected. especially any firefox fanboy techie enough would work hard on establishing a flaw in a competing browser. the point in opera is that they are the fastest to release a patch...

I disagre on both fronts.

Originally posted by Sushubh+Nov 13 2005, 06:30 AM-->QUOTE(Sushubh @ Nov 13 2005, 06:30 AM)
opera is pretty popular enough for the flaws to be detected.
[/b]

Well 0.32% market share on BBC.co.uk is not going to be popular enough. Even on a tech sites (w3cschools) is not more then 2%. Even Safari has a higher share.

View attachment 309

omg...lets not mess around with netfreak. He is really FREAKING me out 😱

oh wait. that 1 security issue you are talking abt is about?Description:A vulnerability has been reported in Macromedia Flash Player included in Opera, which can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's system.It's a plugin from Macromedia. And from what I have heard, all the browsers using the older plugin are affected. It's not a browser issue. It's Macromedia's problem.And compared to firefox and Internet Explorer, Opera still manages to have atleast 66% less bug. I think i am pretty impressed by that.

Originally posted by Sushubh@Nov 13 2005, 07:18 PM
Description:A vulnerability has been reported in Macromedia Flash Player included in Opera, which can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's system.

That's right. But two points:

To end user it does not make any difference. As long as visiting a website can allow webmasters to install anything on your PC. It is Opera's fault to ship 7.x version of flash even though 8.x has been around for quite some time. All it takes a hacker who is willing to pay some ad service to place a flash ad and any Opera user is at risk (if they are careless enough to run browser with admin privileges). Of course people on this forum should not be on that category?

And if Opera guys are really so quick an providing patches then why take that much time. Firefox and Even IE had this (Flash) update last month.

Overall, it just a chance that is is vulnerable at this point of time and default installs of IE/Firefox are not affected by same vulnerability, situation could have been reverse as well.

Sushubh,

Seems that you have been using it for quite some time. Do you have any tips on sandboxing Opera? I would like to give it a try, but I am too afraid to run any browser unless I know for sure that it can not run code on my system even if someone is able to exploit vulnerability.

And have you used voice features of Opera, just read on the site about it. Is it good enough to take care of crappy html pages? From what I read it seems that it might be able to read aloud arbitrary pages. Is that the case?