Microscan aka Vovinet FTTH Fiber

No I don't get ipv6 but I didn't ask for config or try it myself...

What path are you talking about?

Just an update that they are going to launch 300 and 500 mbps plans likely in the coming days pan Maharashtra.

I got the 500 plan activated couple of days ago, apparently I'm the first user in Pune.

Currently facing upload speed issue of only 250 mbps and they are looking into it.

But still also facing the same issue of very low international bandwidth especially for single thread connection. Currently trying to engage with the leadership team with @Anurag Bhatia help to see if anything can be done about it.

Who knows, hopefully in the near future they can even provide higher speed plans like 750 and 1 gbps and give solid competition to the tier 1 providers!

@Sushubh could you create a dedicated section for Microscan in the Others section and move this thread there or is it too soon too few threads for it?

@vishalrao

The last time they upgraded the speeds was Dec 20 I think. They introduced 200 Mbps. They had started upgrading their servers for this purpose and the internet was unstable throughout the day.
There is one LCO in Chandan Nagar who offers 1 Gbps, but their connection quality is questionable.
In terms of packet losses/ Ping spikes (for gaming), Microscan and other LCO's are lot worse than JioFiber (and maybe Airtel, TATA etc.) Speaking from my personal experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update that they are going to launch 300 and 500 mbps plans likely in the coming days pan Maharashtra.

I got the 500 plan activated couple of days ago, apparently I'm the first user in Pune.

Currently facing upload speed issue of only 250 mbps and they are looking into it.

But still also facing the same issue of very low international bandwidth especially for single thread connection. Currently trying to engage with the leadership team with @Anurag Bhatia help to see if anything can be done about it.

Who knows, hopefully in the near future they can even provide higher speed plans like 750 and 1 gbps and give solid competition to the tier 1 providers!

OK after pestering the Microscan people for the past few days I'm embarrased to say the upload speed issue was ONLY happening on Chrome on Win11 while testing against the local servers. When the tech guy visited my place today I just by chance tried Edge browser and we saw proper full 500 mbps up and down speedtest result!

What confuses me is that Chrome is showing good upload speeds to one particular international server and also if I add my BSNL 300 mbps connection. I at first thought Microsoft/Win11 was sneakily throttling non Edge browsers (even Firefox shows the speed issue behaviour) but I don't know why/how it shows good up/down speeds if I combine my 2 connections for total 800 mbps up and down! Anyone has any ideas?

Anyways, next steps is to engage with the Microscan folks to get them to do the following.

1. Start providing IPv6
  2. Launch even faster plans like 750 and 1 gbps - LOL probably will take another year.
  3. Troubleshoot the international speed issues as discussed in this thread: Speeds being throttled by major ISPs and bandwidth providers for smaller ISPs? | Microscan
  4. Provide actual speeds 10% higher than the plan like BSNL and Airtel do, so 100 mbps plan should get 110 at least 🙂
  5. Any other suggestions you guys have?

These guys seem to be genuinely interested in listening to customer feedback so I'm hopeful good progress can be made and this ISP could be a major player against even the top tier ones like Airtel/Jio 😀

Last edited:
@Yatch is it working for you? Can you post a brief guide or steps, settings you are using to get ipv6?

I am in bridge mode and using TP-Link er605 device and in the logs I see some lines like ipv6 established successful but I couldn't figure out the right settings to use it.

Assuming you have Microscan and able to use ipv6 do you see any difference in performance like routing and speeds etc?

I'm getting log like this...

IPv6 PPPOE IPV6C succeeded. (local=fe80::0xx0:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx, peer=fe80::0000:0000:00xx:xxxx)

I have just connected a dumb ONU (Provided by Microscan) to my router (NetDuma R2) and enabled IPv6 on WAN and LAN (Its just a simple ON/Off switch, no config). I did the PPPoE login on the R2 router, and got IPv6 on all connected devices.

remote LL address fe80::0000:0000:00f0:xxxx
local LL address fe80::b593:0f67:4313:xxxx

The IP address is like 2406:9e00:1115:5819:1061:ae98:xxxx:xxxx

I don't see any difference in performance.

It works on /64 PD

Seems to be working for me too...

Initially I thought not working because website like https://ipv6-test.com/ was showing IPv6 not working but searching "what is my ip" in google and bing shows my (temporary) IPv6 address which changes everytime I disable and re-enable my ethernet adapter in windows (yet to try linux).

Also, ipv6test.google.com website shows "Looks like you're using IPv6 already".

In windows ipconfig command shows 2 IPv6 addresses, one is sticky (does not change) other is labelled temporary IP which is visible on the above websites.

The ethernet adapter properties shows the sticky/permanent one and not the temp/safe one.

I don't see any difference in performance.

@Yatch I seem to be able to ping only www.google.com and few others like fast.com when I disable IPv4 and only leave IPv6 enabled on windows.

Browsers too only open bing.com and google.com but not other websites like fast.com or speedtest.com

On linux I tried doing a wget/axel download from ubuntu servers which apparently support ipv6 but it just hangs/times out.

If I ping on linux to www.google.com I get replies but ping to servers like releases.ubuntu.com again just wait with no reply.

Are all these kinds of things working for you?

I have pinged a Microscan engineer too - waiting for his response on this (maybe something I have not configured properly - but why does www.google.com work in ping and browser but not others, Im not sure)...

The IP address is like 2406:9e00:1115:5819:1061:ae98:xxxx:xxxx

@Yatch OK I think I might have figured out why my IPv6 not working properly - I could be totally wrong though.

Your IP is like 2406:9e00:1115:5819:1061:ae98:xxxx:xxxx while my IP is like 2406:9e00:111d:5819:1061:ae98:xxxx:xxxx

(I just copied your IP but changed the bold hex digit from 5 to d which is what I am getting from my PPPoE session)

Now, I happened to look up the IPv6 prefixes on BGP tools like bgp.he.net and bgp.tools websites and noticed that the range of IPv6 prefixes goes only up to 2406:9e00:111a::xxxxx on both these websites.

Your IP is inside this range but mine it outside it, leading me to believe either the Microscan guys have misconfigured my account to allot me an IPv6 prefix they do not own (yet?) and they need to fix things on their side.

I'll try and get in touch with backend NOC engineer(s) tomorrow and see what they say.

Last edited: