• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 526
  • Views Views 68,091
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
ISP
India: FTTH, FTTB or 3G // NZ: VDSL // USA: FTTH or Cable (DOCSIS3)
Hey all,

Since a few people have been asking for a "meet and greet" on this tour, I thought I should post the dates that I'm anticipating to be in various cities, and from there we can organize some little event.

8 April: Arrival in India
[Plan to be largely unavailable during the weekend of 8th to 11th while I catch up with friends, family and my co-directors]
12 April: Hyderabad - CONFIRMED - early evening (5.30 to 7.30pm), Cafe Coffee Day, Hyderguda Road, near old MLA headquarters, Hyderabad.
14 April: Chennai - CONFIRMED - Meeting was held in Kilpauk and later at Gymkhana.
15 April: (mostly unavailable due to meetings)
16 April: Bangalore - CONFIRMED - Sigma Mall, Cunningham Road, Bangalore from 14.00 onwards.
17 April: (mostly unavailable due to meetings)
18-21 April: Mumbai - Anticipated places/times:

[*]18th Afternoon: Southern Suburbs - Oberoi 1100 until 1400. Phoenix Mills and/or Palladium 1500 until 1800.
[*]19th: Northern Suburbs/Thane - TBD - Probably CCD's and/or Baristas at Vikhroli (LBS Road) and Thane.
[*]20th: Eastern Suburbs/Navi Mumbai - CCD near Chembur station 1100 until 1400. Inorbit Mall Vashi Station 1500 until 1800.
[*]21st: Northwestern Suburbs - Inorbit Malad 1200 until 1800.
[/list]22 April: Pune - Royal Orchid Central, 19:30
23-24 April - I will be outside of Pune during these days.
25-30 April: Mumbai - Anticipated places/times:

[*]25th: CANCELLED due to illness.
[*]26th: MORNING CANCELLED due to illness / Cafe Leopold 1600 until 1800
[*]27th: Eastern Suburbs/Navi Mumbai - Inorbit Mall Vashi 1100 until 1730.
[*]28th: Bandra/Andheri - Candies, Pali Hill 1100 until 1400, Barista near Andheri Station (SV Road, Near ShoppersStop)
[*]29th: Partially unavailable due to meetings; but I will be in Malad/Goregaon, so probably Inorbit Malad or nearby.
[*]30th: Unavailable due to meetings (Conference in Dadar E)
[/list]1 May: Surat - Stayed near the railway station and took photos of the cabling on Station Road.
2 May: Ahmedabad - 10 Acres Mall. Estimated to arrive at 1400, should leave by about 1730-1800 so I can have dinner (train is at 1925).
3 May: Jaipur - Available most of the day.
4 May: Agra - I'm going to do the touristy thing in Agra, so I will only be here for a number of hours.
4-6 May: Delhi/NCR (5th I will be unavailable due to meetings, including but not limited to the MHA). 4th night: Noida. 5th night: Gurgaon. 6th I should be available for meetups until about 2100. In order to avoid trapsing all over Delhi, let's get one or two locations sorted!!
7 May: Mumbai - Arriving mid-day(ish), probably will not be available.
8 May: Early morning flight to Singapore
9 May: Kuala Lumpur
10-11 May: Broadband World Forum Asia 2011

This list may also not be conclusive - there should be 2 visits to Pune and 1 to Goa, but 2 of those 3 visits are not yet scheduled - they would probably both be in the dates of 18-21 or 25-30th at some point.

In most places no particular venue has been decided yet - it could be anywhere from my hotel to a local restaurant/coffeehouse/chaiwala/mall - where ever is most convenient. I will probably know only a couple of days in advance, so I would announce a venue both by updating this post and on Twitter @mgcarley | @hayai_in

Also, in some locations, if you have a particularly... interesting way of accessing the internet, I'd like to perhaps even come and have a look! In some cities I will also be attempting to meet with ISPs for a friendly chat.

Great! Looking forward to meet you! 🙂

quite strange that u will be going to Broadband conference without even starting a company...?

quite strange that u will be going to Broadband conference without even starting a company...?

Ahh, but I have paid to have companies started in both countries. It's been started for months in NZ and to date it's cost me about Rs35k for each of the Indian companies (not including the paid up capital) - and the fact that it's not showing up on the companies register makes me quite nervous.

I'm guessing it should show up on the Indian register rather shortly after I give a bit of a bollocksing to the people responsible.

Atleast, since ur name is mentioned there would stop some ppl from "imagining" that u r not real 🙂just came to mindif ****92 was here (probably is 😉 ) would now say that mg made up the site lol 😛

Atleast, since ur name is mentioned there would stop some ppl from "imagining" that u r not real 🙂

just came to mind

if ****92 was here (probably is 😉 ) would now say that mg made up the site lol 😛

He could say what he wanted. I'm too young to have conceived this site at the time, really - I had nothing to do with India in 2004 or so when IBF first came alive. As far as I know, that was all Sushubh.

And by my demonstrably crap Hindi/Marathi/etc skills it would be obvious I'm not from around there 😀

Don't forget to send me your local Pune contact info when you find out! You have saved my cell number I hope/believe.I can drive to wherever you are (as long as its not too far away from where I will be) to meet you when you are here 22-24 April, any meet-n-greet notwithstanding.I live around the "Wanowrie / Fatimanagar / Hadapsar" areas next to the KROME mall and quite near to Magarpatta City, to give you some bearings... 🙂

Hi mg. Looking forward to meet you on 1st may in ahmedabad.
I would also like to meet you and definitely, I will finish my stuff to meet you.
You have planned to come ahmedabad. So, it seems you will have exact date of launching when you arrive at here.

off topic mg but did you knew anyone who were affected in the NZ quake?.I hope the people you knew there were safe and secondly do you support republicanism in NZ?.Do kiwis love monarchy?.I see that a bill was debated in 2010 to make NZ a republic.The greatest ills in NZ is that you dont have a written constitution aka parliamentary tyranny and only have one house.anyways you have chosen bad timing as India will be in 45+ degree heat wave in MAY.

off topic mg but did you knew anyone who were affected in the NZ quake? I hope the people you knew there were safe

Yes, a couple.

and secondly do you support republicanism in NZ?

I don't feel it would make a great deal of difference. Only if Australia and NZ both became republics and then merged (at least economically) would it really be worthwhile, but even then NZ and Australia are basically so close in so many ways anyway that most people wouldn't feel any changes - but I think the Australians would probably think it was a bit like the reunification of Germany.

Do kiwis love monarchy?.I see that a bill was debated in 2010 to make NZ a republic.

Some do, some don't. I can't speak for everyone. It's been debated a couple of times before, and like the other times, it doesn't appear that this bill got very far.

The greatest ills in NZ is that you dont have a written constitution aka parliamentary tyranny and only have one house.

It would only be tyrannical if we couldn't throw them out, and we have done that by referendum before (although most of the time when we get sick of the government it's just about election year anyway), and we do flip-flop between ruling parties - more often than the Americans.

We don't need so many houses of Parliament, as this would be a waste of time and taxpayer money (which we HATE). As a result, things tend to get done here when the people really want something. Sometimes it takes a couple of goes at getting it through Parliament, but eventually. If all else fails, we can turn to the Governor General who can in turn go to the Queen who can dissolve Parliament if she needs to.

We do have a written constitution - it's just not in a single document, it's across several Acts of Parliament, Treaties and a bit of UK common law. This isn't a bad thing, as 1. That's a single point of failure and 2. They [constitutions, acts, treaties etc] get amended all the time anyway (as so they should be), so what's the point of having a single document to lay everything down when you can have a single act concerning a single point of law with it's own amendments concerning that act and no others?

Our founding document is the Treaty of Waitangi, and it's probably the most debated and abused piece of legal documentation in the country (so, #1) and even though it was only written in the late 1830s and signed in 1840 (with a couple of tribes signing even after that), some people are proposing that it be thrown out and/or replaced because much of it no longer applies (so... #2).

anyways you have chosen bad timing as India will be in 45+ degree heat wave in MAY.

I've done both extremes. I can deal with it.

No offence Mathew,but this a big joke that u you have started a whirlwind tour of India even without knowing when the Mumbai operations will start.

Status
Not open for further replies.