Mesh wifi vs Access point

• Thread starter Thread starter rizexor
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 3,150
ISP
ACT,Airtel
So I have the main router in my hall and I want wifi access to be seamless there and my bedroom. Good wifi signal does not come there due to thick concentrate and cupboards.

I have a single Ethernet cable going to my bedroom from the main router. So I was thinking of going for openwrt fast roaming access point with a second router in my bedroom. And I can use the free lan ports on it to connect my PC.

But I have heard fast roaming depends on client I have an old Redmi note 5 pro idk if it supports fast roaming.

Or the other option is wired mesh wifi which I think is a little expensive for just a simple use case.

So which option should I go for guys?

If it works for you, great.

PS: Roaming isn't seamless with FT (but close enough to say it's seamless), 802.11k and w, I don't know it's possible without them since they just help speed up same process(es) unless there's some voodoo going on in the air.

I would say it switches better now but when running iperf3 it doesn't switch easily.

Also I get this msg when finally switched:

iperf3: error - unable to receive control message: Software caused connection abort

@wheatbread U are using 802.11k and w not r?

You can have same SSID with FT enabled, non-FT WPA2, WPA, WPA3. Clients choose which is the best one they recognise and connect using that protocol.
Here if you enable FT with mixed mode, your AP broadcasts same SSID with WPA, WPA3 with FT and WPA2 with non-FT because if clients don't recognise FT they can't join the network (with WPA2)

I don't know what was the point of quoting things out of the context, both people in this thread aren't using FT they are trying get away with forcing clients to switch on poor connectivity, I said that in that context and I'm pretty sure somewhere in that document it's mentioned that FT implementation is a breaking change so every implementation has to broadcast FT with non FT too.

Last edited:
FT is achieved using SSID beacon extension parameters to reduce the handshake duration to setup WPA2. You don't need a new SSID (with the same name) to be broadcast to be backwards compatible with older clients.

I don't understand what you mean by an AP broadcasting two SSID's of the same name on the same channel with FT enabled and disabled. The technical aspect makes no sense.

The op has only 1 openwrt router and other is stock TP-Link router so I think 802.11r implementation is out of question in this case according to my understanding.. When OP buys an openwrt capable ap then maybe we can help him setup 802.11r...