Merger of Reliance Digital TV DTH and Sun Direct DTH

• Thread starter Thread starter vinay_kumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 14,999
poor reliance...was doomed from the very inception.

Only Through Ads i get reminded of reliance dth's existence. Even it's Ads are almost negligible these days

Yes Reliance is finding it very difficult to sustain DTH business, and the situation is made more worse by space crunch on DTH, Digitalization and other DTH players. There are frequent black out of channels due to non-payment issues. This could be the outcome of misappropriation of funds (customers money) by the management.

this wont help the ADA group who want to be a driving force in telecom industry.They have mobile service,DTH and internet service.They were also officially planning to acquire licences for new satellite phone technology which would make satellite phones and internets common in India at an affordable price.But exit from DTH comes as a shock to me.

They can always switch to IPTV. The launch that never took place. :
also. for the love of god. is it a confirmed news?

chromaniac said:
They can always switch to IPTV. The launch that never took place. :
also. for the love of god. is it a confirmed news?

IPtv needs dedicated channels and infastructure.If you mix iptv with internet,neither of them will be functioning perfectly.I do not think in a country like India where set top boxes have to be shoved down peoples throat,IPTV would be welcomed.

airtel was doing fairly good with their iptv platform before they decided to fuck it up. i was a happy use of their service for around 2 years.

chromaniac said:
airtel was doing fairly good with their iptv platform before they decided to f**k it up. i was a happy use of their service for around 2 years.
mtnl has to be given the credit of killing iptv technology in India.
what issues you faced with airtel?

lol. mtnl outsourced the thing. airtel on the other hand managed it very nicely at least in the early stages.
i am not alone who loved their timeshift feature. but eventually they never added new channels. kept on removing channels from timeshift. there was no HD roadmap... service quality went down big time. and blah.

chromaniac said:
lol. mtnl outsourced the thing. airtel on the other hand managed it very nicely at least in the early stages.
i am not alone who loved their timeshift feature. but eventually they never added new channels. kept on removing channels from timeshift. there was no HD roadmap... service quality went down big time. and blah.
seems like they were sharing the infra.it is very risky in indian market to invest big time in building seperate channel for IP.

airtel sharing their infra? :
they delivered iptv on their broadband lines. it was a fully fledged airtel operated platform. you paid for iptv through your broadband bill.
the same connection provided voice, data and television. it was pretty cool. of course the quality of cables became a problem eventually they could not support 4mbps on iptv connections because they had to reserve 6mbps for IPTV feed.

Well that is sort of confirmed news. The article talked about ongoing talks. Not sure if it is in mainstream news media right now.

It is in mainstream news. Read about both sell out yesterday. Globcom is being sold over the years with 80% with immediate effect and 20% after an year. Rcom will be an investor after that.
Rcom is trying to clear its Rs 37000Cr debt that it has accumulated.
So what i feel is maybe landing fee might get slashed as the international player might bring in competition where only TATA, Airtel and relaince had monoply