• Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 2,221

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
I was looking for a media center solution for my television set. I do not have a HDMI compatible television set yet but support for that would be cool for future.

Basically, I am looking for a device that can connect to my local network (wireless) and play media files from the computers.

I would need support for popular formats like divx, xdiv, avi and the likes. Support for music files is not necessary. Photos also are not that essential.

I have both Windows and Mac on the local network. It would be cool if the device comes with internal storage too for storing the data instead of streaming wirelessly... I have a Linksys WRT54G which I believe does not support the faster wireless technologies.

Support for USB drives would be an added advantage.

I found out some of such devices from Netgear... ( http://www.netgear.com/Products/Entertainm...rs/EVA9150.aspx )

Just wanted to know which would be a cool affordable compact solution.

The most popular is Popcorn Hour :
Welcome To Popcorn Hour

Costs ~ 215$

This does not support wireless connectivity but is very cheap :
WD TV HD Media Player ( WDAVN00 )

Costs ~ 99$

The best solution would be an HTPC , if you dont want to assemble one yourself , you an see the Asus Nova Lite / EEE Box

would prefer something with wireless connectivity as the TV is far away from the router 😛

do not want to make an assembled machine that works as a media center. would prefer a device made for that functionality :S

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

also would prefer a device from a recognized company. Apple tv is not an option 😉 despite me owning two of their devices already 😡

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

WD TV HD seems cool. i have an external HDD which i can use with it.

let's see if i can find something more capable 🙂

D-Link modem seems to be compatible with windows machines only... :-s

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

and i am not sure if streaming only solutions would work at my place considering my wireless network is not on the faster technology (n?!)