Meat Ban in various states in India

• Thread starter Thread starter sTrOnTiaBOnd
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 193
  • Views Views 27,806
As you may know some monks are on fast unto death to force an entire town to be veg.
25% of the town are Muslims
Gujarat govt may declare Palitana ‘veg-only’ zone

This is a violation of freedom of choice. If i am a meat eater can the govt or a community force me to be veg? I hope this is taken to court.
quote from them
"The monks thanked the officials, but expressed hope that the government would declare slaughtering and sale of other non-vegetarian food items an “anti-social activity”.
So i am an anti social if am a non vegetarian? This is 1984+brave new world on steroids.
Next will be ban alcohol. Haven't they learned from history that by banning you make it more appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno. My visit to McLeodGanj and the monastery there was pretty cool. No one forced me to ditch my religion and become a monk. I am pretty sure we were able to eat non-veg food everywhere around the little town.

chromaniac said:
I guess they should leave people who like to eat non-veg alone. I think the fifth principle covers this.
You are looking at fifth principle. But ignoring first principle.
Its your biggest sacred religious place. Your religion's first and foremost principle is getting violated.
And you suggest they should remain silent and tolerant?

I think they should do it like the Golden Temple... Declare a particular radius around their establishment a holy area where there are certain restrictions. As monks, you would not have to deal with stuff you do not like. People living in that area would not have to travel that far to do what they want to do.

If you read the article. That is what they are asking for. (Declare some radius)
The difference here is since there are 3000 sacred temples, that radius almost covers that town.
So news show it as "asking whole town/city" to be non-veg free.

Considering there are 3000 sacred temples, I suppose municipality must already be earning a lot due to "tourism".
And I think our tax laws already charge tax on temple earnings (not sure though)

I have always got receipt (without asking) wherever I gave "chanda".
I will try going to nearby Jain temple's office and tell them, I want to make donation.
Will see if they give receipt (without asking) or not.
May be you can try too.

ah well. i was not talking about official donations that you would make through cheques. i was more talking about cash that you drop in their boxes which i guess is not accounted for properly for tax purposes.

Then thats your mistake! 😀
I never made box donations.

i am pure non veg and vegetarians are offending my sensiblities.. now how about some action aginst them ?

Hmm, then please fight for it, just like vegetarians are doing!
Noone is stopping you! 🙂

seriously consider banning meat in a place where atleast 25% of the people eat meat. sounds like a very sensible thing to do. way to go, India. Instead of looking at the things that REALLY matter, here we are, deciding what other human beings are supposed to eat and not eat, just because some nude ass monks decided so.

See look at this from this angle.
There are 3000 sacred temples probably older than 1-2 century.
Which means in the past this place definitely did not have 25% meat eaters.
So those guys came here to make a living. Their living was definitely based on earnings via tourism in that area. Where most of tourist were vegetarians.
Then their population increased, and now reached 25%.
So indirectly a sacred place was invaded by meat eating people.
So now monks are trying to undo that, i.e. they are trying to hard to save their sacred place.
If they dont stop that now, meat eating population may reach 50%.
Where will they go when their biggest ever sacred place is no more that sacred?
Just think from a different angle not just from "my freedom" or atheist angle.
Just because you dont believe in religions, does not mean that you keep on saying "bad words" for monks.