Meat Ban in various states in India

• Thread starter Thread starter sTrOnTiaBOnd
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 193
  • Views Views 27,767
As you may know some monks are on fast unto death to force an entire town to be veg.
25% of the town are Muslims
Gujarat govt may declare Palitana ‘veg-only’ zone

This is a violation of freedom of choice. If i am a meat eater can the govt or a community force me to be veg? I hope this is taken to court.
quote from them
"The monks thanked the officials, but expressed hope that the government would declare slaughtering and sale of other non-vegetarian food items an “anti-social activity”.
So i am an anti social if am a non vegetarian? This is 1984+brave new world on steroids.
Next will be ban alcohol. Haven't they learned from history that by banning you make it more appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gujarat is already a no-drinks zone right? Why would you even want to live there!

The problem is that Gujarat is now India ever since the elections. The Gujarat model will be replicated in all states if by force need be. I wont be surprised that in 2019 India bans alcohol to celebrate 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. (i dont drink alcohol)
As the founding fathers of America said:
Democracy is mob rule where 51% can take away the rights of 49%.
If we were a true republic, this would not have happened.

Don't worry the alcohol lobby would ensure that nothing like that would happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palitana
As per this, Palitana is biggest pilgrimage center for them (There are 3000 temples in Palitana)
25% muslims means there must be lots of meat shops.
I am vegetarian myself.
I would not like to see a meat shop with dead bodies hanging all over or live goats/hens being sold/slaughtered just before I enter temple.

You cannot even smoke and eat non-veg in a large area around the Golden Temple I believe. This is quite common here in India.

So you would like to restrict my freedom of choice on what to eat? Nobody is selling non veg in temples. Outside temple is public land and not private property and also i dont like naked monks walking in public. It is indecent but O! you can get away if it is your religion but you will not be allowed to eat non veg food etc as it is anti social. What hypocrisy.

Admin if a jain reads this and complains, you could be charged under sec 66. Edit it and add it as a joke.

Yep its a wrong statement to say that monks sound evil.
May be he had some bad experience in past so such a statement.

monks are supposed to be tolerant people. so their demands are very un-monk-like.

No monks are not supposed to be tolerant.
Monks are supposed to promote their religion and stop whatever is against their religion.
Big difference.
Many sikh gurus fought war to save their religion. There are many other examples too.
Monks are supposed to be calm. But raise voice if something is against their religion.

Ahimsa: Ahimsa means non-violence. The first major vow taken by ascetics is to cause no harm to living beings. It involves minimizing intentional and unintentional harm to other living creatures.
Satya: Satya figuratively means truth. This vow is to always speak the truth. Given that non-violence has priority, other principles yield to it whenever they conflict: in a situation where speaking truth could lead to violence, silence is to be observed.[59]
Asteya: The third vow, asteya, is to not take anything that is not willingly offered.[59] Attempting to extort material wealth from others or to exploit the weak is considered theft.
Brahmacharya: The vow of brahmacharya requires the exercise of control over the senses by refraining from indulgence in sexual activity.
Aparigraha: Aparigraha means non-possessiveness. This vow is to observe detachment from people, places and material things.[59] Ascetics completely renounce property and social relations.
I guess they should leave people who like to eat non-veg alone. I think the fifth principle covers this.