How to maximize torrent download speed?

• Thread starter Thread starter Surfer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 13,205
i've recently discovered this upload @ 10 kBps thing...have only downloaded private torrents...haven't checked with public torrents yet...2-3 torrents give me that speed easily...and i guess that's the maximum line speed at that time, coz the speed remains pretty constant...may be a kBps up or down...

upload @ 10Kbps works on public trackers too...210 Kbps max, doesn't go beyond that as coolbuddy saidbut on private trackers, it srsly kills the ratio...:wall:trying really hard to keep it 1

yes, true :wall: even i'm trying hard to maintain ratios...seeding all day and almost for a week (without any more downloads)...means one night of downloads and around a week of uploads... 😕

So i need to continue seeding after my download finishes to keep my ratio close to 1.0?Buy how do i view my ratio in BitComet? i'm not able to find it.Does MTNL charges you (thourgh MBs or Rs.) for Uploading?Also, how does a tracker know my ratio since we have dynamic IPs?I know these are a lotta questions but i'm not able to find the answers to these.Thanks.

if you're downloading from a public tracker (which i'm pretty sure you are) you can "hit and run" as they say, as in download it as quickly as possible and then remove the torrent from your torrent client. it would be great if you kept seeding (uploading, without downloading, that is after you've completed your download). on a public tracker you're only helping the community, seeding has nothing to do with any consequent downloads. using a private tracker is completely different, you have to maintain share ratios.

I am a Newbie but I have mtnl don think they charge for uploading.... That's kinda absurd

Ya, i mean im doing everything correct.I've set my utorrent configs as they should be according to the advice given by several guides available.Im uploading at @8KBps, beyond that hurts my slow download speed.Despite all this, im able to get mid 40s'KBps average download speed.Can anybody who's getting more than 100KBps of average download speed, plz post their exact utorrent configs in detail. I'l be most gratefull.Thank you.

ok, answering all your questions one by one tutsipoppyyes, u should continue seeding after u have completed ur download, ur ratio should be 1.0 n above to avoid the several wait restrictions, but this is applicable only in the case of private trackers (like dt, idesir n likes)...in the case of public trackers (link-removed...nd others), u can delete the torrent frm ur client as soon as u finish ur download...but this is NOT recommended for the sake p2p!In MTNL, uploading is free! u won't be charged anything.....but for an upload of around 200mb, around 1mb would be downloaded, so this 1mb would be used from ur limit. Private trackers keep a check on the ratio through a 'passkey', u are allotted a passkey when u register. u can download content using that tracker only when ur passkey is correct.Now since u r not getting 200 KBps speed on any of the clients, i guess ur connection has not been synchronized to 2mbps.To check that, go to the router page, mostly 192.168.1.1..enter the username, password applicable for ur router and check it there, mostly it is there in the (Status tab--->ADSL for D-Link router DSL 502T)and don't use bitcomet, use azureus or utorrent. Bitcomet has a problem of downloading extra mbs, it means that for a file of say 100 mb, it would download 102 mb.done! cheers🙂btw, ur name 'tutsipoppy', it is :rofl:

ok, answering all your questions one by one tutsipoppy
yes, u should continue seeding after u have completed ur download, ur ratio should be 1.0 n above to avoid the several wait restrictions, but this is applicable only in the case of private trackers (like dt, idesir n likes)...in the case of public trackers (link-removed...nd others), u can delete the torrent frm ur client as soon as u finish ur download...but this is NOT recommended for the sake p2p!
In MTNL, uploading is free! u won't be charged anything.....but for an upload of around 200mb, around 1mb would be downloaded, so this 1mb would be used from ur limit.
Private trackers keep a check on the ratio through a 'passkey', u are allotted a passkey when u register. u can download content using that tracker only when ur passkey is correct.

Now since u r not getting 200 KBps speed on any of the clients, i guess ur connection has not been synchronized to 2mbps.
To check that, go to the router page, mostly 192.168.1.1..enter the username, password applicable for ur router and check it there, mostly it is there in the (Status tab--->ADSL for D-Link router DSL 502T)
and don't use bitcomet, use azureus or utorrent. Bitcomet has a problem of downloading extra mbs, it means that for a file of say 100 mb, it would download 102 mb.
done!
cheers🙂

btw, ur name 'tutsipoppy', it is :rofl:

i having the same problem i get max dload speed of 40-50KBps on bittorent downloads otherwise on p2p like bearshare & http downloads i get 200+ KBps

Heres my status>ADSL page:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8436/68051294fy4.jpg

@shashankkosta : Thnx for info. Really appriciate it.Btw, i am synced at 2048kbps, its just that my torrents dont live up to that.Well last night i was downloading a torrent and thought of trying flashget for the job. Well it gave me some pretty good speed, also cause the torrent was well seeded.Thank the info again. Cheers.

what i can't understand is why you guys set your upload limits to just 8 or 10kBps? if you say you configured your client according to the tutorials you must have read that your upload speed must be 80% of its maximum value so with upload speeds of about 220 kbps (meaning about 27 kBps) you should set your values to about 22 to 25 kBps. what kind of a community person are you being if you want download speeds of 200 kBps but uploading only at 10 kBps? a ratio of 20:1? do you seed for 2-3 weeks after you've downloaded anything?

@ superunknownwhen we set our upload speed to 10 KBps or less, then only we are able to get max speeds of about 200KBps, if we set it more than that, then the down speed comes down badlyyes, u r right that v should not limit our upload speed but there's nothing else we can do. And we only download during the night hours (12-8) at 2mbps. The rest of the day time, we seed at full speed, coz seeding can be done 24x7.when i had the 590_NU plan, my ratio was always more than 2 and in some sites even more than that. It's only after i switched over to 849_NU that my ratio has come down but i still make sure that it stays around 1.5 always.@puneet_313have you tried the 'upload @ 10KBps' thing, it might work in your case. And just to check, you can download a torrent which has many seeders.

Same here, i have no problem in uploading at the highest speed only if it didnt affected by download speed.

have you guys increased the number of upload slots? i still think you guys should increase your upload speeds. i get upload speeds of about 430 kbps (mistake on MTNL's part, but i'm not complaining) so i upload at 35 kBps with 9 upload slots per download. if you've left the number of upload slots per download at 3 that means all your uploading bandwidth (22 or 8 or 10kBps) is being used to upload to only 3 others, so if its 22 you're uploading to 3 others at 7-10 kBps each but if you check the speed at which YOU are downloading from those peers it'll be much less. you can check this out under the 'peers' tab in uTorrent or bitTorrent. so guys increase the number of upload slots AND the upload speeds, you should get downloads at about 200 kBps and you'll be using all your upload capacity and helping the community.