How to maximize torrent download speed?

• Thread starter Thread starter Surfer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 13,207

Surfer

ISP
MTNL 590 NU
Hi , Recently have upgraded from 599 and 849 NU .. I was expecting torrent download speeds to touch 200 KBps .. but at an average i am getting 100 KBps only .. that too on well seeded torrents .. like ubuntu torrent ...I have also checked the port-forwarding and thats AOK too ... i am using utorrent and azureus ... i have checked with speedtest and am getting 1.8 MBPS consistently ... also am getting http downloads of around 200 - 220 ...There was a patch somewhere about patching TCPIP.SYS to increase the max half-open connections in XP ... has anybody of you tried that ?? .. are there any other settings/tweaks (i have tried setting the global upload speed ) that increases the torrent download speed .

The golden rule - Seed. 🙂Is your seeding ration good?

yes .. its quite good .. try to maintain a ratio of 1 for every torrent i download .... have also set the max upload speed possible as suggested by the speedtest ...

you can patch tcpip.sys with evid patch...google it...or you can do the same with xp-antispy...try it...it has many other useful features to prevent MS from spying on you...and also look at the links provided by nimbuz. try 8 as the upload speed when downloading, other values remaining the same which you can get from the speed guide in utorrent...someone, I think skorpio uses 6 as the Upload speed effectively...and to maintain seed ratio keep the upload speed at 0 (maximum) while not downloading...try it.

I'get 375 kBps on my 4 Mbps night Unlimited..

I'get 375 kBps on my 4 Mbps night Unlimited..
what kind of plan are u having.

i need urgent help......atleast u guys are getting 100kbps ....i am not getting more than 15kbps....40 max..on azureus...help.i have Mtnl 2 mbps

- Shift from pppoe to bridged mode.- Restrict the upload speed to 15KBPS.I tried doing the half-open thing... but didn't help much!

Yes, shift to bridge mode...then you will not be required to forward ports. And also read the links given above by nimbuz...half-open thing works for me with the value 50 instead of 8...patch tcpip.sys to 50 or 100 to a maximum value with which your connection gives good results...I get good download speed with upload at 8 kBps while downloading. and look whether you are seeding well. You require good seeding ratio also with private trackers to get good speed...whenever not downloading seed at a little lesser speed than your maximum upload speed.

with upload speed set @ 10 kBps i get the best download speed of ~210 kBps in utorrent...

Yes, best download speed can be achieved with upload speed set at 6~10 kBps on utorrent. I get my best speeds at 8 kBps. It seems many other factors influence the upload speed required for best download speed some of which have been posted above. Keeping upload speed at higher values may hamper the download speed.

do you people get speeds of 200+ on all the torrents ? .. well currently i am downloading a torrent which has only around 8 seeds (and am connected to only 3) and about 20 peers .. and am getting a speed of 80 kBps (with upload set to 10kBps) ... i am using linux so the half-open thing does not matter here ...