Massive Download Speed problems with Triband -I need a good & reliable alternative !

• Thread starter Thread starter GABRIEL36
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 4,985

GABRIEL36

ISP
DIALUP
Dear Broadband Users,

Greetings. I am a newbie who has been having "Massive Download Speed Problems" specifically dropping speed problems with my MTNL TRIBAND PLAN to which i am subscribed to.

I am a Subscriber to the following Plan: DSL 2399 for the last 6 months and more

1. Upto 2 Mbps (Bandwidth Download Speed)

2. Hours Monthly: Unlimited

3. 4 GB: Monthly Free Data Download With Effect from (01.11. 2005)

5. Rs 2,399 : Monthly DSL Minimum Usage Charges.

6. Rs 0.70/ MB.

Important: “This Plan entitles me to a speed of 2Mbps, yet from the 27th of June – till today I am getting a speed of less than 50 kbps”.

Earlier, till the 26th of June My Downloads used to start at 79.5 kbs/sec and reach a high of sometimes even 220 kbs/sec. Usually, the highest speed ever reached was 208 kbs/sec. Now, from the 27th of June, the Download starts at 79.5 kbs/sec and keeps on going lower and lower and lower till it reaches 25.0 kbs/sec.

“More Importantly, The Packets Sent and Received are few and slow while earlier The Packets Received were Double, Triple, or even quadruple of the Packets sent”.

As, a Result I cannot download any MP3 File from any site. It takes over an hour to do so, when earlier it used to take just 10-15-20 minutes.

I am now getting a speed of 20 kbs/sec which is even lower than the highest that i have got for the last 80 days ever since the trouble started.

Can anyone suggest a "Reliable Good Alernative"?

I have called up at 1504 their helpline in Mumbai and nothing at all has come of it , i also wrote an extremely long letter detailing my problems which was signed by a senior MTNL Engineer in charge as well as by the General Manager at the Exchange. But, nothing has come of that too.

I have read a lot of pros and cons regarding Tata Indicom Brodband, what is Nu by the way ?

Whenever, i download from link-removed or from any site my speed starts dropping like crazy from the 27th of june which was not the case before.

Any Suggestions, for a good alternative would be appreciated as well as a Specific Plan.

Regards,

Not many ISP's can provide a cheap service as MTNL......although paying Rs2399 for such lousy speeds is a rip off.

Can You paste the Line stats from http://192.168.1.1?
We need some info..here are my stats
DSL Status

Status SHOWTIME
Mode ADSL2+
Type Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps) 2047 511
SNR Margin (dB) 22.8 17.6
Attenuation (dB) 43.5 28.3
Output Power (dBm) 6.6 99.7
Super Frames 630298 630296
Super Frame Errors 69 250

Maybe we can try and find out if the line sucks or its an exchange issue

Dear skorpio1, Greetings. I have no idea how to get such details as you have provided. I am not very well acquainted with such matters. I am Hardware and Software Illiterate. Please help if u can. What is much worse is that I am not just paying Rs 2,399/Month always sometimes the Bill crosses 3,000 inspite of the fact that the Speed is so Poor to the nth Degree. I am totally Fed Up and don't know what to do anymore. I believe all Government Enterprises such as MTNL suck although they initially provide some sort of good service but then after some time everything starts to fall apart. Regards, You had said the following: Status SHOWTIME Mode ADSL2+ Type Downstream UpstreamRate (Kbps) 2047 511 SNR Margin (dB) 22.8 17.6 Attenuation (dB) 43.5 28.3 Output Power (dBm) 6.6 99.7 Super Frames 630298 630296 Super Frame Errors 69 250 Maybe we can try and find out if the line sucks or its an exchange issue

Dude what he ment is type 192.168.1.1 in your address barlogin in router (default username, pass) is adminclick on ADSl--------status and post it here !Hope u are using the Filter that comes with Router .....What i suggest is :---------------------------1. What the approx distance of telephone exchange from your house??if it's large then u cann't help it!if it's less say 15 min walking or so then Request or bribe the mtnl mechanic to change the wiring of the HOme!Trust me u will notice boost in connection!

if ur Dl speed is in kbps then its bad,if it is in kBps then its ok.see here1Bit=8Bytes1kilobyteByte=8kilobits2048kbps(kilo bits per second)-2048\8=256kBps(kilo bytes per second)if u r getting speeds 'upto' 220kBps ,then it is ok.as all of us r getting the same speeds.Njoy:thumbsup::thumbsup:

abtom is right as indicated on web it's 256 / upto 2 Mbpsso min is 20 KB/s upto 200 KB/s net downlaod speed.Router always shows speed in kbps and not KB/s

Not many ISP's can provide a cheap service as MTNL......although paying Rs2399 for such lousy speeds is a rip off.

Can You paste the Line stats from http://192.168.1.1 ?
We need some info..here are my stats
DSL Status

Status SHOWTIME
Mode ADSL2+
Type Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps) 2047 511
SNR Margin (dB) 22.8 17.6
Attenuation (dB) 43.5 28.3
Output Power (dBm) 6.6 99.7
Super Frames 630298 630296
Super Frame Errors 69 250

Maybe we can try and find out if the line sucks or its an exchange issue

You get 512 kbps upload in Mumbai?!! I am getting only 256 kbps upload on 749 NU Delhi plan.

I believe all Government Enterprises such as MTNL suck although they initially provide some sort of good service but then after some time everything starts to fall apart.

With all my empathy with you I'll have to disagree because MTNL/BSNL are doing a better job than the private players in providing broadband in terms of price/speed/uptime in my experience.

^^ Agreed. Till the time MTNL employees are involved, MTNL is doing a splendid job. Only when the babus come into the picture, everything gets screwed up!And I think skorpio1 changed the upstream by requesting someone at MTNL!

hell no !! I never changed anythingI was screwing myself calling the tech support line 10 times a day,continiously for 10 days......when I migrated from 590NU to 849NU(Old folk here would know how i cried,like many others; on this forum for help :rofl: )I always thought that in Mumbai 512kb was default upload speed.If its 256 then the gods have smiled :rofl:Anyway since I endured 256kbps DL's on a 2mbps connection for so long,I believe its Ok if i enjoy 512 Uploads 😗

Dear InetBum and Friends,

Greetings.

I am looking for a "Good and Reliable Alternative to MTNL BROADBAND TRIBAND" I am not looking to stay with MTNL TRIBAND -- I HAVE HAD ENOUGH PROBLEMS THAT I CAN HANDLE IN FACT MORE THAN MY SHARE OF PROBLEMS.

BTW, when i had the 400 MB PLAN WITH MTNL for which u pay a minimum of 200 Rs -- there were problems to a massive degree there too.

The Link would go on and off constantly, before i changed to this plan.

Finally, an update -- A Linesman came over a few days back and said that there is nothing wrong with the Connection, Modem, or wiring at all and that this is a DSL Problem.

The DSL Guys are totally indifferent and are not concerned at all and that is why i am looking for an alternative.

Today is the 81st Day of my Problem and getting much worse -- i just want to change to something better and i want to have nothing to do with MTNL.

I have to respectfully disagree with inetbum because if MTNL were doing such a good job how is it that not just i but a host of individuals in my immediate neighborhood and a little beyond are having massive problems with Triband and all now want to change to a Private Operator who will definitely be better !!!!

"I am paying enormous bills to MTNL for "Very Poor Speed and Extremely Poor Service", The Private Players can't be much worse" !!!!

Please someone give me a solution and an alternative to MTNL.

Regards,

You get 512 kbps upload in Mumbai?!! I am getting only 256 kbps upload on 749 NU Delhi plan.

With all my empathy with you I'll have to disagree because MTNL/BSNL are doing a better job than the private players in providing broadband in terms of price/speed/uptime in my experience.

The Link would go on and off constantly, before i changed to this plan.

Dude thats looks like a line problem.
We need those stats, as mentioned in post #4 follow the steps and post your SNR margin and Attenuation Figures.
That will prove if its a line problem.

Ur a noob here like we all were and If u need help here,U'd best give us the line stats..........
Your symptoms are generic...we cant diagnose ur specific problem without those stat Figures

Got any old Complaint Number thats a month or 2 old when your problem started?Search this forum for the MTNL GM's Telephone Number or Email and call him and explain the issue with the complaint numbers.
Only way to get Babu Log of MTNL to fix issues;
is to talk to the Baap Of Babu Log

"I am paying enormous bills to MTNL for "Very Poor Speed and Extremely Poor Service", The Private Players can't be much worse" !!!!

Not many other choices of other ISP's coz those that are with Private ISP's also have similar sob stories before they come and join the MTNL gang.
Wanna Trade an old head ache or a new one?????????????

Tata seem to be doing pretty well recently in mumbai.Sadly they have discontinued their NU plan 🙁If u have the budget u can go for their 1 mbps unlimited plan for Rs 3600/- monthly.Or u can wait till they activate their NU scheme again [ hopefully ] btw , MTNL works pretty well at night time with good speeds , so u can opt for MTNL NU849 plan 🙂

As of now, I don't think there is any competition for MTNL/BSNL as far as Value For Money is concerned. Well, u can try others, but as far as news goes, even quality-wise... MTNL is the best...

My suggestion is... choose the plan that suits ur needs and enjoy MTNL!

rite,use mtnl coz it rocks.CC-ok.....but sometimes they forget what internet is all abt.Speeds-killer,always on top.plans-i think the best in india.uptime-Greatoverall-ROCKSmtnl hai to sahi hai.............par sarkari babus se bach kar hi raho to achcha hai.