Mask recommendations

Here are my suggestions based on a ton of research and the ones I personally use.

N99/FFP3 - Venus V2930 - Very hard double layered shell, comes with sturdy adjustable straps and a breathing valve. It is CE certified and FFP3 rated, no way for air to leak through the sides. Can be worn relatively comfortably for a maximum of 1 hour, after which it feels like the nose bridge is about to collapse. Only worn it once with a surgical mask on top to go to the hospital. Set it aside in a paper bag to reuse later.

N95 without valves - Most don't offer a tight seal, unless you really conform the nose seal correctly. Buy ones that have NIOSH certification. I recommend buying only Venus, 3M, Honeywell or Magnum brands. There are a variety of types, most common being shelled ones like 3M 8210, Honeywell H801, Magnum MH3D cup, Venus CN95 etc. and flatfold ones like the Venus V4400 and the Magnum N95001 / Magnum MH3D.

4 Ply/3 Ply Surgical masks - Go only for ones that are certified. Filtra is the only one that I trust - Buy FILTRA 3-Ply Ear Loop Surgical Mask BFE>99% (Pack of 100 Nos.) Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in and Filtra 4 Ply Surgical Mask with Activated Carbon (Box of 50 Masks)

If you are buying from Amazon, only buy from Cloudtail or Yugan sellers. They are authentic from my experience. Yugan seems to be a reputed wholesale medical outfit from Pune called Bhairavi Surgicals And Distributors. The most important thing to understand about buying masks from Amazon is that reviewers don't know jackshit and will claim everything to be fake. Do your own research.

All this obviously seems ridiculous and overkill, but my reasoning is better to spend a few hundreds on masks than a few lakhs in a hospital.

The above is useful only if you are serious about masks and hand hygiene, if you are the type that pulls down your mask below your nose often, then seriously the money is wasted, a cloth mask will do just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I'm avoiding N95 masks is that they are a bit uncomfortable and bulky. I've to meet a lot of people, and I maintain a safe distance but I have to shout to be audible while wearing these. 3 ply masks seem to be comfortable and don't fog up my spectacles.

I think it's a wise thing to look for certifications while buying any mask. +1

Honestly, I think certified 3 ply masks is enough if you're not maintaining close proximity to people all the time. The goal is to reduce the viral load, so even if air gets through the sides, it isn't enough to get you infected. The Filtra masks are way more comfortable to wear than off the shelf surgical masks - the ear loops are superior.

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a 100 pieces box. I wish they were available in black color too. 😬

Here are my suggestions based on a ton of research and the ones I personally use.
A lot of research has gone into this I see, kudos to you for referring the masks with respective Amazon links.

I only have one question to you, these N95 masks, Venus or Magnum, what's their shell life like? If I use for 2 hours daily how long can I use it for? Some say these are disposable and after using them once, no matter 2 hours or 8 hours, one should dispose these. Is that true?

Regarding surgical masks you referred from the brand Filtra, those look good, but as I am looking for N95 masks specifically for my mum, I need the smallest size available. I have already bought her a dozen pack surgical masks from local medical store but those keep falling off of her face. You know a senior citizen woman with very slim built.

PS: I have got a warning for quoting whole post. Lmao. I wonder who are in charge of moderation here.

Last edited:
Even though they are supposed to be non-reusable, you can rotate it for use by keeping it aside in a paper bag for a week. Some Venus masks now come with instructions on how to "wash" non-reusable masks, so it all depends on your level of safety.

Even though N95 masks are recommended for public use during a pandemic, they are primarily used as dust masks to protect from pollution and folks generally replace them when the filter gets clogged which is usually at the end of a typical day.

There are smaller size surgical masks but I don't know if they manufacture them anymore. Filtra has a kids size cartoon version but I don't know how small it is. Robot Check Of all the N95 masks, the Honeywell H801 seems the smallest. NIOSH N95 masks have over the head tight elastic bands, so probably would fit most faces.

A face shield worn over a N95 mask can help to deflect and reduce surface accumulation of dirt/pollutants on the N95 mask.

To clean a N95 mask soak in a disinfecting solution and gently rinse it. Do not use hotwater/steam, pressure, or squeeze, fold, rub. The N95 mask is not designed and made to tolerate such handling so better not to do it.

@Jay Thanks once again. Those kid sized surgical masks should do the job just fine. I just wish these surgical masks had a nose clip for comfort. Regarding the N95 masks, doesn't seem feasible to me as they are not truly reusable, so probably better to skip them altogether.

I read in an article that washing masks reduces its effectiveness drastically. The article suggested to use the mask as is and then replace it with a new one after a certain period of use.

n95 type masks has that problem. if you can afford to replace mask after every/regular use, nothing better. i am personally quite comfortable with Jockey mask. avoiding crowds. avoiding standing close to people face to face. basic social distancing works fine. i have friends who were like 100 times more careful compared to someone like me, catching it... nothing guarantees anything. you can just take precautions and hope for the best.

Uniqlo masks are in stock online. If any one is looking for them. They are supposedly quite good. Adidas is always out of stock when I check.

got mine today. i like it. fabric is good quality. branding is inside. does not have the nose pin so prone to sliding down if not worn properly. i did read on twitter that these do not last for long unless you wash them very carefully. Jockey has been fine after multiple washes in machine.

Are washable masks any good? As in do they have enough layers to help prevent droplets and pollution getting through?

Also, what are some good non-reusable masks? N95 types?