Maria Sharapova fails a drug test

But if Sharapova is bad player, its good for her opponents who could have 1 easy match to win 😉

Also if you think about it, these players enter these tournaments on their rankings whereas sherapova basically waltz into the tournaments since she has no formal rankings yet. so it might be tad disrespectful for the players competing

But thats what wildcards are for.

Wild card (sports) - Wikipedia

A wild card (or wildcard, or wild-card) is, in general, a tournament or playoff berth awarded to an individual or team that has not qualified through normal play.

If player does not have ranking but has potential - they are given wildcard by tournament organizers.

Goran Ivanisevic WON wimbledon with wild card!! (because he didnt have ranking due to injury in previous year)

I remember few years back even Kim Clijsters won US open on wild card because she was out due to pregnancy.

But thats what wildcards are for.

Wild card (sports) - Wikipedia

If player does not have ranking but has potential - they are given wildcard by tournament organizers.

Goran Ivanisevic WON wimbledon with wild card!! (because he didnt have ranking due to injury in previous year)

I remember few years back even Kim Clijsters won US open on wild card because she was out due to pregnancy.
Her ban ends on 3rd day of the tournament and she's given a wildcard. So she's not even allowed on grounds first 3 days but on the next day, she's competing

giving a wildcard to player tested for drugs and banned feels a little bit unsavoury

Is it illegal? no. But is it ethical? depends on individual

Also its not like she's a squeaky clean player in the past. there have been many complaints against her due to her grunting being too much on court

Well.. thats different matter.

I am just talking about wildcard.. nothing wrong in wildcard.

Can she play or not.... I am sure WTA knows about it. And must be within rules.

best case scenario now is that she loses in first round. viewers boo on her arrival on the court 😀