Many SIMs incorrectly deactivated on 11 Dec 2013

• Thread starter Thread starter augh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 3,491

augh

ISP
ADSL
Vodafone has incorrectly deactivated my main mobile SIM along with many others on 11 Dec 2013.
Vodafone states that it was a TRAI directive to deactivate all SIMs issued to foreign nationals that are more than 90 days old.
However DoT, TRAI and even the Vodafone Customer Application From (CAF) clearly state that,
[font="'courier new'"]Section 10b of CAF
ii) If he/she is foreign national (not being a tourist) then Services will be available only during period of validity if his/her visa.
iii) If he is a foreign tourist then services will be available only during the period of validity of his/her visa or three months from the date of activation of Services whichever is earlier.[/font]

I am on an OCI visa which is ‘lifelong’ and I met others in the store on 'employment' or other types of enon tourist' visas who have had their SIM deactivated.

It is clear that Vodafone is at fault and made a mistake by including non tourist visa foreign nationals in the deactivation when they should have not.

What is disappointing however its Vodafone total lack of responsibility in fixing this error at the earliest.
• CSR at the store insist that Vodafone was just following TRAI regulations and it is not their fault.
• Customers are being asked to reapply by submitting all documents and photograph and new CAF just to reactivate the same number.
• Activation will take 48 hrs and requires a new SIM during which time the customer is left with no mobile connection.
• Vodafone will not guarantee that the credit on the pre-paid account will be carried forward once the number is reactivated. (I had just under Rs 1000 + a 3G data pack)
• It has taken me 3 hrs of my time to try to sort this out with Vodafone (First on the phone, and then at the store), and 36 hrs later the new SIM has not yet been activated.

Given that many of those affected like myself will suffer direct financial loss from lost business plus the time out of our work schedule to get this sorted at the store. I expect Vodafone should provide some sort of compensation.

Does anyone know how this can be escalated,
- file a complaint with TRAI?
- is there a Consumer Rights body?
- legal action?

First write to Vodafone's Appellate authority. If the issue isn't resolved by them, complain to thr Department of Telecom here : http://pgportal.gov.in

@Augh. You have not stated which city/circle you are in. If you are in Mumbai see this. You should write to the Nodal officer, they should hopefully be able to help as most of the CC's are dumb.

I am in Mumbai circle,
It is now 48 hrs since I emailed the Nodal officer and no reply from them yet. Of course they have no way to call me as all my numbers are down (Wife's, Tablet SIM, and mine) and I do not have a landline, but still no email reply from them.
(lesson learned, have al least 1 number from another provider)
Will go into the store again now as the numbers have not yet been activated.
Will also register a grievance (thanks for the link @x720)

augh said:
I am in Mumbai circle,
It is now 48 hrs since I emailed the Nodal officer and no reply from them yet. Of course they have no way to call me as all my numbers are down (Wife's, Tablet SIM, and mine) and I do not have a landline, but still no email reply from them.
(lesson learned, have al least 1 number from another provider)
Will go into the store again now as the numbers have not yet been activated.
Will also register a grievance (thanks for the link @x720)
I can understand your problem. I was just going thru my communication with them in the recent past & I remembered what I had seen on their auto reply
[color=#ff0000;]'[font="'vodafone rg'"][SIZE=11pt]To enable us to serve you better we request you to kindly re - check the email just sent to us;[/color][/font][/SIZE]

[*][color=#ff0000;][font="'vodafone rg'"][SIZE=11pt]Does it mention the Vodafone mobile number? Please do include the number without which we will not be able to address your concern.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
[/list][color=#ff0000;][font="symbol;"][SIZE=11pt]·[font="'vodafone rg'"]Does it mention the docket number* (the service request number you get when you register your grievance at Vodafone [/color][/font][/font][/SIZE][font="'vodafone rg'"][SIZE=11pt]Care)? Please do include the docket number without which we will not be able to address your concern.'[/font][/SIZE]
These guys need a tel number as they usually call you first apparently if there is no tel number they will ignore the email. I suggest that you call them on their number (given in the link in my last post). Maybe that will help.

3 days later and my number has not yet been reactivated,Manager at Andheri store advised it may take another 48 hours due to heavy load as there have been many cases like this.I did provide both my numbers in my email to the nodal officer but of course Vodafone has disconnected them so no way to receive a call.The CSE on the phone refused to give me a docket number saying that since the number was disconnected they could not create a ticket in the system.I have re-written to the Nodal officer with a temp mobile number I activated today.

Its not surprising the way these companies behave as I have seen a marked deterioration of quality of manpower.over the years 😛issed-off: