Manual DNS on Airtel DragonPath (707GR1) Router

• Thread starter Thread starter Motihaathi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 10,970
You can telnet to the router with MobaXterm and change the DNS that way. For that, first enable telnet in router. Log on to the web ui, Advance > Remote Access > Telnet (tick lan or both). Apply and reboot the router once.
Download and Run MobaXterm

Telnet to it: telnet 192.168.1.1 (unless the gateway is changed)
For the username and pass you can use these: admin:password or adsl:realtek or user:user (user "user" has less options so just use the admin one)

config dns "1.1.1.1" "1.0.0.1"
(it can take three manual dns, just write them in double quotes as shown and press enter)
That's it. There's a couple other options I saw. One is even to disable tr069 on it. Can't say how much it works or not, I mean the disable toggle since I don't have airtel connection, but after a restart, thankfully the option doesn't change. Also, since the conig file isn't encrypted you can change stuff within it and restore too.

Yes, You can , as suggested by @alexb , you need to edit from config file only. Because Telnet is also disabled by default.
I also have same Dragonpath Router

Defaults
Go to 192.168.1.1
use Username = "admin"
password = "password"

Also Before proceeding, edit IPV6 DNS first from WAN settings, I have explained about it later.
Edit the Internet one only( begins with "ppp0_..." ) , not the Landline profile ( begins with "nas0_..."

You can use Cloudflare or Cloudflare Gateway for free, create account there, and you will get custom IPV6 DNS for your own, so if you want to block any thing from IPV6 you can. There are issues with Jio Wifi calling though for Cloudflare if you use it for ipv4 too.

Coming back to editing IPV4 DNS

You need to go in settings called as "Admin"
Go to Backup and Restore
And save the config file

If There is no option to "Backup Settings to file" ( It has gone missing after firmware upgrades )
then Use
once you log in into the router

From here , in Chrome ( Use F12 or Ctrl + Shift + I ) to inspect element,
Right click the portion which says <body> or <body>...</body>
Select Edit as HTML , and replace the entire code, with the code below from <body> to </body>.
And Click somewhere else. It won't get saved permanently, as the old code will be back if you refresh, but it will open the button for Backup settings to file.

<body>
<div class="intro_main ">
<p class="intro_title">Backup and Restore Settings</p>
<p class="intro_content"> This page allows you to backup current settings to a file or restore the settings from the file which was saved previously. Besides, you could reset the current settings to factory default.</p>
</div>
<form action="/boaform/admin/formSaveConfig" method="POST" name="saveCSConfig">
<div class="data_common data_common_notitle">
<table>
<tbody><tr>
<th width="40%">Backup Settings to File:</th>
<td width="60%">
<input class="inner_btn" type="submit" value="Backup..." name="save_cs" onclick="return on_submit(this)">
<input type="hidden" name="postSecurityFlag" value="">
</td>
</tr>
</tbody></table>
</div>
</form>
<!--
<form action=/boaform/formSaveConfig method=POST name="saveHSConfig">
<tr>
<td class="table_item">Backup Hardware Settings to File:</td>
<td>
<input type="submit" value="Backup..." name="save_hs">
</td>
</form>
-->
<form action="/boaform/admin/formSaveConfig" enctype="multipart/form-data" method="POST" name="saveConfig">
<table>
<tbody><tr>
<th width="40%">Restore Settings from File:</th>
<td width="60%">
<input type="file" value="Choose File" name="binary" size="24">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<input class="inner_btn" type="submit" value="Restore" name="load" onclick="return uploadClick()">
</td>
<input type="hidden" value="/saveconf.asp" name="submit-url">
</tr>
</tbody></table>
</div>
</form>
<form action="/boaform/admin/formSaveConfig" method="POST" name="resetConfig">
<table>
<tbody><tr>
<th width="40%">Reset Settings to Default:</th>
<td width="60%">
<input class="inner_btn" type="submit" value="Reset" name="reset" onclick="return resetClick(this)">
<input class="inner_btn" type="hidden" value="/saveconf.asp" name="submit-url">
</td>
<input type="hidden" name="postSecurityFlag" value="">
</tr>
</tbody></table>
</div>
</form>
</body>

Now From here onwards, The Save button will get visible. So You can Save your config on your PC or Phone.

Important :- Backup this save file once more, make a copy of it. It will come handy in case your edit goes wrong, and router gets hanged.
In that case you need to reset router using the backside Reset button.
And you will need Original file to restore your WAN login details and password, which you simply won't get if you reset, you will need to reupload the old config file then.

Remember, one double quote, or any other thing while editing can mess it up, so have a backup file.

you need to use Notepad to edit the config.xml file and find for the following.
<Value Name="DNS1" Value="172.64.36.1"/>
<Value Name="DNS2" Value="172.64.36.2"/>
<Value Name="DNS3" Value="208.67.222.222"/>

I am using Cloudflare DNS & openDNS, so you are seeing my DNS values, they are just below each other .
Search for
Value Name ="DNS1",
and you will get all 3, one below the other. Leave blank inside the quotes, if you don't want to use a 3rd DNS.

Save the XML file.

Go again to Router Settings--> Backup and Restore --> Click restore Settings from File , and select the file which you just edited. This will change the DNS.

Note:- Just small bug :- this again doesn't work in case You go and edit your WAN profile manually again in Router settings, it defaults to its own DNS. You need to re-import file, or :- resave, re edit and re import in that case as the settings get blocked.
Anyways no one needs to change WAN settings , unless you need to edit IPV6 DNS.

You can also save your pppoe user name and password by searching for
<Value Name="pppUser" Value=
in the config.xml file and Below that is the password somewhere

To Disable Tr069, and ACS, you will need to find the something on similar lines in config, and remove login details in the double quotes, keep the rest of field like that

airtelacs
Huawei@1
admin

those login details are something, for the router to access their acs server, and in return them to access Router settings,
I don't recommend to do it, because after this you won't be able to change any settings from Airtel Thanks app, nor reboot the router from there, not edit settings from Airtel Xtreme Fiber app, nor see Devices connected. Also Router Firmware Upgrades might get stop, but they can be enabled again, by restoring the configuration

Be careful with admin option, because same is the user account on router too, so make sure you don't erase that.

Also before deleting acs, make copy of your first edit that is the DNS file, so if you want to upgrade firmware, you can go with Custom DNS ACS version for sometime, and come back to non ACS and custom DNS one.

The above HTML Body code might be also work in future, in case Airtel also disables the restore option.

Airtel tech support was able to change the modem DNS from their system. Now I can see the DNS settings I shared with them.