Making Wifi router work with D-link 502T

• Thread starter Thread starter vcbothra
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 3,686

vcbothra

I'm trying to setup a home wifi network with my ADSL router (D-Link 502T) using the (Linksys WRT54GC) wifi router. Have changed the wifi router IP to 192.168.1.2 in order to avoid conflict with ADSL router's 192.168.1.1. But the thing still refuses to work.Is a cross cable necessary? And do I have to change the WAN settings and make the ADSL router work in Bridge mode?Have attached two screenshots containing the settings I have changed on the wifi router.

Is it a problem because both, the wifi and adsl router are on the same subnet? adsl = 192.168.1.1wifi = 192.168.1.2

Two different devices.....keep them in seperate subnets.

Have changed the wifi router IP to 192.168.1.2 in order to avoid conflict with ADSL router's 192.168.1.1 [/b]

D-Link default is somethin like 192.168.1.1

change Linksys to 192.168.2.1

or vice versa.

usually todays routers/nics have auto sense ports, it doesn't matter whether its crossover or straight thru cable, they will work.

after you have setup the ip addresses....go to Setup> Basic Setup and then set your "Internet connection type" to "Automatic config- DHCP"( implyin dynamic ip)

You are not supposed to do anythin in the advanced routing tab.

there wont be any side effects in changing the lan ip.if changing the ip doesnt work, try using a cross cable, it could be the problem.

Thanx guys - your help is much appreciated. It started working after I changed the IP of wifi router to 192.168.2.1With this battle won, now starts another. The wifi router doesn't seem to have much range - less than 5 metres. Hopefully an external antenna would help.

Yes netfreak, there is a wall between where the ap sits and laptop.

But I tried with an external antenna and the range and signal strength increased satisfactorily.

Originally posted by netfreak@Feb 13 2006, 11:11 PM
Are there any walls between router and your Laptop? Every brick wall cecreases signal strength by 25%.
[snapback]42058[/snapback]
[/quote]