Making modem act as a router..

• Thread starter Thread starter paragkalra
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 3,161

paragkalra

ISP
BSNL
Hello,I have a DSL-2640T Modem and I am having BSNL broadband.I have configured always on connection and my modem gets a public ip where as my machines get private ip. Also my modem is acting as DHCP server.Everything is working fine.Now one of my friend wants to do VNC (remote desktop) and telnet (remote shell access) into one of my machine. Please let me what changes do I need to make in the modem.

Both of you download application
LogMein.
or
select an FTP application.
http://www.filehippo.com/software/ftp/

I opened a support ticket with D-Link support. The suggested me the idea of Virtual Server.

The DSL-2640T can be configured as a virtual server so that remote users accessing Web or FTP services via the public IP address can be automatically redirected to local servers in the LAN network. Depending on the requested service (TCP/UDP port number), the DSL-2640T redirects the external service request to the appropriate server within the LAN network.

These were the steps suggested by Dlink support:

Step 1. Access the web configuration of the router by typing the IP address http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar.

Step 2. Enter the user name and the password as 'admin ' (Lower case).

Step 3. Before enabling port forwarding, we need to add the LAN clients for which the ports need to be forwarded.

For adding LAN clients click on Advanced >LAN clients and then enter the IP address of the computer for which we need to open the ports. Please make sure that the LAN client has been configured with a static IP address.Click on Add and then apply the settings.

Step 4.Click on Advanced and then click on Virtual Server tab. Select the connection according to the ISP values.

For example: For MTNL we need to select PVC0.

Select the category for which the ports need to be opened. Click on add and then click on apply to save settings.

For example: We need to select games for playing warcraft III on a computer connected behind router.

Step 5. Click on User if the application/games/server/VPN is not listed in the category and then click on add. A new screen will appear. Now in the Rule name type any name (the name of the game/application etc). In the Port start column we need to enter the starting port of the port range. In the Port end column we need to type in the ending port of the port range. In the port map option we can type in the start port of the port range. Select the protocol type used by the application/game. If you are not sure about the same, select TCP and UDP.

If you want to open a single port then the Port start, Port end and the Port map will be the same.

This will open the ports for the required application/games etc.

I followed the exact steps suggested by them still I am not able to do vnc into one of my machine running VNC server. I am closing following with Dlink support.

By that time if anyone of you who have configure Virtual server before can share pointers, it will be great !!!!

I have figured out the problem.The issue here was that I was not being able to VNC to the public IP from my own machine but it works from other external networks.So the steps suggested by D-Link support were correct. I asked one of my friend to do vnc and he was able to do it. However internally I can't use my public IP from my private network.