• Thread starter Thread starter baudhayan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 3,223

baudhayan

Regulars
ISP
Hathway 50 Mbps+ Vodafone 3G
Hutch recently launched its 99 services in Mumbai & offered me an add-on card where all the numbers would be same as my number except that 98 would be replaced by 99. I thought of gifting this number to my mom. I thus purchased a new Nokia handset & activated the new number. To my surprise I discovered a strange problem. Whenever I called any of my friends from the new number they saw my name being displayed on the screen though the new number was not stored in their address books. I immediately reported the same problem to Nokia & they suggested me to carry my new Nokia 6030 handset to their Service Centre. I immediately explained them the problem & told me that it was not specific to my model. They kept on giving me vague replies. Finally find no other solution they pulled up the rule-book saying that as per DOT regulations it is mandatory for Nokia to match only the last 5 digits for the Caller Line Identification Service provided by the Mobile Service Operator (in my case, Hutch). When I again told them that this problem would also be reported outside India they again sent me the previous mail again without trying to acknowledge their mistake & thanking me for reporting the bug.

To explain you the problem in detail:

Presume your number to be 9[8]20312345 & your friend stores this number on his/her Nokia phone in the contacts with any name, say "XYZ". Now if you call up your friend from the number 9[9]20312345, your friend sees "XYZ calling...", though there is a different of 1 digit.

This is Nokia's reply:

Dear Mr. Lahiri,

Thank you for emailing Nokia Care.

This e-mail is in reference to your feedback about Nokia products. We would like to inform you that as per DOT guidelines and license conditions, for CLI (Caller Line Identification) purposes the Cellular
Mobile Telephone Service Operators are only obliged to match the last 5 digits. The Cellular Handset manufacturers are not obliged to provide software that may match more than 5 digits of a number stored in the Handset.

We understand your concern and regret the inconvenience this may cause.
We solicit your cooperation in this regard.

For further enquiries, please feel free to contact our Technical Support Executives at 30303838 or 1800-425-3388 between the hours of 6:00am and 12:00 midnight, seven days a week. For online support, visit
"Have a question? Ask Nokia" at www.nokia.co.in. You may also find answers to your queries at www.nokia.co.in/support.
We reassure you of our continuous support.

Please help us improve our services by clicking on the following
link:

https://digiumenterprise.com/answer/?sid=42955&chk=EPHPXYH6

Kind regards,
Nehal Al Khadeer
Nokia Care

Did Hutch offer u the add on card with same number for free?R u on prepaid or postpaid?Thanks for the info about the Bug in Nokia phones, I guess many of us are unaware of it...

QUOTE(imranais @ Sep 23 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]63071[/snapback]
Did Hutch offer u the add on card with same number for free?

R u on prepaid or postpaid?

Thanks for the info about the Bug in Nokia phones, I guess many of us are unaware of it...
[/b]

Me on Hutch Postpaid. Infact they had offered me free in the month of March. Now they charged 250/- for the SIM. But when I see the account details it seems they have refunded that money back. So I guess it is FREE for me.

Regarding that bug...thnx for giving some weightage to my discovery. Infact this bug is very hard to discover because even when Nokia does test trials on its handsets, not many service providers will provide this type of numbering scheme. But I'm surprised by Nokia's attitude, rather than being grateful they are being rude to me. Anyways do you know any method how I can expose this in Media ?

i wouldnt bother if i were you.. nothing gonna become of it.. its evident from that guy's reply that he doesnt intend to do anything about it 😉

QUOTE(ogtripleog @ Sep 23 2006, 10:21 PM) [snapback]63078[/snapback]
i wouldnt bother if i were you.. nothing gonna become of it.. its evident from that guy's reply that he doesnt intend to do anything about it 😉
[/b]

u r rite...Nokia guys r reluctant....i have also seen some mails posted by few users on orkut & they all seem 2 have d standard reply.

Hmm...this is a weird bug. You can go to the media but I dont think this is "sensational" enough.

Nokia being a market leader are least bothered about issues like this. Nothings gonno change...

In India every company takes customers for a ride...

Send a mail to Citizen Journalist of CNN-IBN, with all the details about the bug and careless reply from Nokia, lets see if they take it up:

citizen@ibnlive.com

QUOTE(imranais @ Sep 24 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]63125[/snapback]
Nokia being a market leader are least bothered about issues like this. Nothings gonno change...

In India every company takes customers for a ride...

Send a mail to Citizen Journalist of CNN-IBN, with all the details about the bug and careless reply from Nokia, lets see if they take it up:

citizen@ibnlive.com
[/b]

thnx buddy...i mailed it 2 them...lets c wht happens