Madras HC pushes digitisation deadline to 5 November in Chennai

gopichandpai

Regular
ISP
Airtel
MUMBAI: The Madras High Court on Wednesday pushed the deadline for implementation of digitisation in Chennai to Monday, 5 November.The government had set 1 November as the deadline for compulsory switchover to digital delivery of television channels in the four metros of Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata.The Bombay High Court too is hearing arguments on petitions filed by local cable operators against implementation of the digitisation deadline.

DTH services will enjoy this fruit setup box will cost around 1000 Rs the same for DTH services but they are going to give free subscriptions for the consumers

LCO eat shit! digitilization will happen no matter what.My LCO changed discovery eng to discovery telugu. The translation is horrible and when i requested him to change it back, he said he can't. **** HIM

Haha! For that matter, there are a few dumbasses in our society itself, who arent yet digitised & their TVs has gone black!

Me. Reason - Non-availability of STB

So, are you getting all channels. Hoping you are not from Chennai.

i havn't got the box yet was hoping cabletv guy will call with a good deal, i dont want to pay more than 500 for box he is asking 1000.but then i have dth also in another tv so not completely blacked out.

One lakh to face TV blackout in 3 metros from next week
Himanshi Dhawan TNN

New Delhi: Kolkata residents, who are yet to switch to digital set top boxes (STBs), can expect blank screens after the weekend. The information and broadcasting (I&B) ministry plans to begin phased blackout in Kolkata to ensure that viewers switch to digital TV over the next few days. The decision comes in the wake of strong protests from West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee exhorting residents not to buy STBs.
An estimated one lakh people could face a blackout in the three metros of Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata over the next few days.
A day after the digitization deadline kicked in four metros, Delhi and Mumbai reported over 100% shift to digital systems, while Chennai has sought a two-month extension (up to December 31) for completing switchover from analog to digital mode. According to ministry data, digitization in Delhi has gone up to 101%, Mumbai (118%), Kolkata (85%) and Chennai (63%).
About 1.3 lakh STBs were installed in Delhi on October 31 taking the total number installed in the three cities — Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata — to 1.43 lakh. Installation in Chennai has been stayed following the Madras High Court order. The ministry has been on a goslow in Kolkata, and is likely to crack down on multi-system operators (MSOs) soon.
I&B secretary Uday Kumar Varma said that a threepronged strategy had been adopted to ease switchover. `MSOs have been told to keep prices of STBs stable and not to exploit the situation especially since there are reports of shortage of STBs,’’ he said. The ministry has also asked MSOs to make special efforts to reach out to poorer sections with concessional packages.
The I&B secretary also said teams from the ministry were busy making inspections at the ground level.

Courtesy - Times of India,Chennai

In chennai 85% of the LCOs have come under govt's Arasu cable corporation. So blackout won't happen evn if there's a delay in digitilization. Btw, I'm still on analog. Infact getting better pic quality from the last few days ...

i havn't got the box yet was hoping cabletv guy will call with a good deal, i dont want to pay more than 500 for box he is asking 1000.
but then i have dth also in another tv so not completely blacked out.
I think 1000Rs is the minimum charged for set top box? Even in hyd where there's no blackout,people are charging just 1000 bucks.

Me. Reason - Non-availability of STB

U knew this deadline since June/July atleast. So this is really not a reason.

U knew this deadline since June/July atleast. So this is really not a reason.
Chennai has sought a two-month extension (up to December 31) for completing switchover from analog to digital mode.

According to ministry data, digitization in Delhi has gone up to 101%, Mumbai (118%), Kolkata (85%) and Chennai (63%).

Can't u get it.Seriously..we wish to buy it..but the product is not available. Most of them paid in advance and still waiting for it.