Low Speed/Packet Loss Issues on Excitel Broadband

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel

Source

Still getting around 20% packet loss. Hopefully it is connected and not related to my LCO.

HAZEI.png

Yes, this time around it was not your LCO, but Excitel.

Multiple fiber cuts caused this and our redundant links couldn't survive the Sunday Traffic spike.

Internet is hopeless right now. They are blaming the cyclone. Cannot even load this Facebook post right now.

Source

Guys,

the problem is due to Upstream Providers (Telcos) who are having issues in Chennai due to Cyclone - one of the main connectivity points to the outside world for Them.

Google is also suffering and the ones who use 8.8.8.8 as DNS will have even bigger issues with browsing, so I strongly suggest to use Excitel DNS servers.

Ping to 8.8.8.8 has gone to 289 ms, which means they are routing traffic through their Infra outside of India.

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=40 time=289 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=40 time=287 ms
^C
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 2 received, 33% packet loss, time 2006ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 287.163/288.338/289.514/1.292 ms

Shubh,

Have you also checked without VPN? As I know you are using VPN all the time. We have mitigated the issue to certain extend and now Browsing in Excitel works more or less well, though not perfect yet, but this is the MAX we can do as of now.

pings to 8.8.8.8 are normal now. it was not even pinging last night so i removed them from the settings. i am currently using Acrylic DNS Proxy. not sure if it works fine. i am not seeing any issues right now. was slept through the day.

Reactions: Smh
Dear Customer, the cyclone in Chennai has impacted one of our undersea network cables which may affect your internet speeds. We deeply regret the inconvenience. Our engineers are working to resolve the issue and services will be normalized shortly.

block domains in their host file.
try loading those domains?

i switched to acrylic primarily because windows host file does not support wildcards. acrylic does.