Low Internet Speed in Ubuntu

• Thread starter Thread starter chandru155
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 986

chandru155

ISP
BSNL
My internet speed in Ubuntu 9.04 is very low. Its just 1mbs. But i checked it in windows, it shows 1.7mbs(I use dual boot). My torrent download speed is also only 100KBs. Direct download speed is also the same. What should i do to get the same download speed as like Windows Xp. Mind is UT300R2U modem and PPPOE mode. So i just switch on the modem to connect the internet. Anything should i do to get my original speed

so well its not linux to blame then! its possibly the torrent client that might not be working well.

i have personally never faced any problem with ktorrent. but you can try experimenting with others. Transmission already comes with Ubuntu. Deluge is another one. Vuze has tons of features and is said to be one of the fastest.

Torrent speed is nothing todo with Ubuntu or any other Linux distro.it is how You setup it...Transmission is very simple but yet powerful to complete the given job..See whether the port is open or close.. If Transmission indicted that the port is closed change to another number.. put the upload speed in to lowest i.e 7 k.B (I am using using BSNL 500 HOme) where You indicate the download speed in to unlimited or set to 250.... But for private torrents this technic may not work, as they want the ratio maintained

btw you should make sure the same incoming TCP port is "forwarded" or opened as in windows should be same in linux and also configured in ktorrent... and it should also be opened in your router. you should get better speeds in other torrents too...