• Thread starter Thread starter kambui
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 4,075

kambui

The Hardware Guy
ISP
BSNL Dataone Home 500 @ 256kbps
Recently I am noticing lots of spammers making this forum their den.........whenever I find such post I just use the report button.....but the problem is ....this spam posts are multiplying every day....Is there a bot or something?....really annoying to see a topic headed Interesting Post and then to know that is a spam.....i thought that new users r not allowed to post before the administrator confirms their registration?
Anyways ...this must stop

No new users can post. But the spams are just stupid ones 😛Anyways most of the threads are outdated and users post just for the heck of it. Majority of the posts are off topic.

well. new users have to validate their email ids on their own.i can make it a manual process but that would mean i would have to validate each new user.and there is no way i can find out which new user is an actual human being or a bot.and i could not find any anti-spam plugin for this bulletin board software.i do delete all spam posts whenever i come online.and if i am online, the spam posts are usually deleted on the spot. so, if anyone of you have an idea on how to solve this spam issue... feel free to suggest the ideas here.

You can see if the recent spam posts are from the same IP (or IP range) and ban the IP.

IP banning does not work coz most of the spam happens from proxy servers or zombie machines. you system can be spamming without you even knowing it!

In other forum i visit what they have done is that every first post of a new user would first be verified !!!Else you cud also have moderator for this(safaai Karamcharee 😛) as two are always better than one.

I don't know if this is possible or not....I have seen forums where u have to type in a verification code before u post.....that will be annoying for us.. but have to live with it ..to stop ....these idiots!

Yeah, like for the first 25 posts, or for all of the users who are in the 'Members' group, we can have that captcha verification that we have for registeration. And I know a forum where the group (Like we have members, regulars, believers, ass kickers, and moderators) are upgraded by a moderator and is not automatic, just to check whether a user is not flooding the forum to get PM abilities or gain status.

QUOTE(kambui @ Feb 4 2007, 08:21 PM) [snapback]78590[/snapback]
I don't know if this is possible or not....I have seen forums where u have to type in a verification code before u post.....that will be annoying for us.. but have to live with it ..to stop ....these idiots![/b]

i think this can be done, but when posting a new topic/poll...any geniuine member won't start a new topic without the need of it...replying to the topic should be same as usual...

Mods Help PleaseI am able to reply to topics but not able to start new topicsI get a Board Message as " you must enter a post" sumthing like that'Am i under moderation ......this has been jhappening for a few days now.

that problem is happening i guess on opera browser. it works the second time. its most likely an issue with the forum application. i am waiting for an upgrade. i will try posting a message on the IPB's customer support if they have heard of similar issues.

Yes I am on opera.......but I am not able to post 2nd,3rd time.Shud I switch my broswer?What about other opera guys?Plus I hadnt had any prom on other IPB's forums