Looking for GPS s/w without Data connection

• Thread starter Thread starter guyaborad
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 3,612

guyaborad

ISP
Comhem 15 mbps only ...
recently I got a car and was thinking on having an fm transmitter, then I thought why not use GPS with mp3 player capacity but they are quite expensive and with subscription NO way..... then I thought I can use my phone with gps chip as a gps and A MUSIC player at a same time.......
then I thought I might need data connection all the time, which might not be the case when I am running amok on europen highways and jungles across the scandanavia.....
so I was browsing number of options for offline naviagation (using only GPS chip) on board.....
so I am trying no navimii, sygic and google maps together one by one
but here are the flaws
navimii world is FREEE totally, i even downlaoded maps for most of the places I will be in but when you try to start naviagation it asks for internt connection initially for finding the exact address.... however once set I THINK it turns on its own, yesterday while walking I took it without data connection and it was showing me where I was going but not TOTALLY accurate (at speed of 5 km/h) today morning I tried it in car it was showing the road but navigation was not possible it was just showing me where I was going .....
Sygic : IS NOT FREE it gives 7 day trial and then you have to buy maps for like 50 euros for life time updates and what not and says it can be used offline but dont know.....
google maps : tried it offline today in morning again, it shows where I am and where I am going VERY accurately but the option for searching direction is grayed out when there is no data connection.

so it seems all the navigation s/w needs data connection at some point ....
can any one tell me any s/w which works and GIVES DIRECTION without data AT ALL....
or should I something else with my methods to test these s/w?
recommend me something guys....

For searching POIs you will need a data connection.

Sygic does not need data connection for basic navigation and POI search (ones already available in the app/map) and address finding. Only when downloading new maps / updates it needs but that you can do at home as well on wifi.
Only if you want to do google search from within sygic (if there is an option) then it requires Data connection.
Try other options like Navigon, Tomtom if available.
kkapoorr said:
For searching POIs you will need a data connection.
Not necessary if there are already POIs fed into the app / map.

okay about sygic it wont let me use it, it says its on 7 day trial period and then I guess I have buy a map....
navigon is totally paid , havent seen anything on play store for free and to use directly....
as for POI I dont need POI I just want a turn based navigation from point a to b

hmmmm, any good paid options then I would rather spend 30 ,40 euros on map rather than a dedicaated gps piece of metal that will do nothing else..... ( except for sygic plz) but i think there are options to this without paying money..

guyaborad said:
hmmmm, any good paid options then I would rather spend 30 ,40 euros on map rather than a dedicaated gps piece of metal that will do nothing else..... ( except for sygic plz) but i think there are options to this without paying money..
I think you will have to search them yourselves as this is a public forum and we don't really discuss this here. But you probably know where you are heading on that front. 🙂

what are you talking about? these software are online constant dont you thin k they will notice something different and block me mid way in navigation..... I dont think ALTERNATIVE methods will work.. and what do you mean dont discuss here geeeezzz
the world has so advanced that I think there are option under GNU licence .. BTW navimii free is showing the that navigation without data connection ONCE you get the router fixed while having data connection,, I am investigating.... can you or any one add to the the method

okay, tested again for short jouney of about 10 kilometers
navimii : started app, put in the address and tell it to route: required data connection
then i switched off the data connection and told it to go on with it ...
It DID ABSOLUTELY FINE, I did number of wrong turns, it did reroute me IMMEDIATELY without fail, speed accuracy was low though but amazingly accurate, even zoom in and out with speed increase and decrease.... in all WORKED without data connection after initial routing ....
the lag to actual places is MINIMAL.....

Google maps : on way back, same test done. initally required data connection to formulate and get driving direction,
then turned data off and jump off to GOOGLE navigation... id just stopped saying getting driving directions, so started data again and it found driving directions ...
then turned data off and used it again , WORKED fine..... took wrong turns .... REROUTED ME saying rerouting all by itself...
final part of the journey involved about 300m of walk, It did not re route me then.... always kept showing the car route ...
lag is noticeable... I cross the landmark and then it shows after like 1 or 2 microseconds but I can live with it...
All in all navimii seems to be the BEST option here which also gives speed of car(although lags in giving speed) , rerouting faster than anything....
only thing navimii lacks in addition of POI in its database .... .
So I think I should try navimii next time for bigger trip...
can any one repeat the experiment and come back with results ?

tested one more time with Navimii this time data was off from the start of app.
I had saved one place 30 Km away earlier...
then started the app without data connection and told it ro route it to me this position (saved in app earlier)
then it cacluatred the road and amazingly accurate during the travel as well.

Then came home and tested another one called co-pilot seems goood yet let me review it in few days and come back
and hey chromanic if you are looking just rename this thread to Review of FREE navigation apps on android.... may be it will benefit some one who is looking for same thing in future...

so testing with co-pilot, downloaded it downlaoded maps, gives yo free 14 day trial and you have to select region for the first time and later if you want other area you have to buy it... but I am enough with europe as of now....
anyways
tested with online mode very good....
Tested off line....
totally HAS EVERYTHING IN IT inbuilt, i told it to find a road in Barcelona and it can without a hitch, and then route me to it and starts navigating. EVERYTHING without data connection at all...
so far most satisfying and best s/w ever for offline use...... but still has 14 days I wanna see what happens after 14 days will it remain such smooth or not...
ANY ONE please input...
n

Sygic with map my India maps is available free if googled. 🙂

guyaborad said:
dude I know of open street maps , but I am in need of total offline navigation. i.e. a software that can use the openstreet maps and navigate me turn by turn
navit and/or gpsdrive, yep turn by turn!
hth
-paul
p.s. forgot to ask does your gps device support NMEA then you can configure gpsd and rock and roll, just dont go near roswell :-D my tip! ;-)