• Thread starter Thread starter Daddycool
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 1,414

Daddycool

Regular
ISP
MTNL
I am on the unlimited 495 combo plan giving 320 kbps speed. I used to be on the Rs. 399/- 1 GB plan earlier. After I changed the plan I installed uTorrents. In the beginning I continued to get well above 1 mbps with the changed plan till MTNL realized and brought it down. It was still not bad for my use. Then I started using VoIP. I found that the call quality was pretty bad off late. I found tremendously fluctuating speed when tested using speedtest.net. Speeds varying between 300 kbps and 30 kbps. I did complain to MTNL and their server people said the line wasn't too good. The line people said it was ok. My ADSL status showed that the SNR and attenuation figures were pretty good.Anyway I finally realized that the problem is that uTorrents hogs all available bandwidth leaving little for VoIP and browsing.I can tweak the settings of uTorrent to reduce its bandwidth but since VoIP and browser use the network for very short bursts, that is not the best solution. I am looking for a solution where uTorrents is given low priority at the network layer so that it will only use all the available bandwidth if nothing else demands it at the moment.Anyone knows if there is a free product to do this?

there are routers..with custom firmware installed that can do this..for instance i have the buffalo WHR-G54S with DD-WRT installed that has this feature (QoS)..but as per my experience incoming QoS is not very effective..