Looking for a Branded but Economical Desk Top PC -- Suggestions Please

• Thread starter Thread starter GABRIEL36
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 6,279

GABRIEL36

ISP
DIALUP
Dear Friends, I am looking for a new Desktop PC that is economical in price and that works well. I am essentially looking for a "Branded Desktop PC". Can anyone make any suggestions ?? Any Comments on any Model of Compaq Presario or HP or anything else ? Which is better ? I am looking for the following in a New PC. 1) Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.40 GHZ or 2.20 GHZ -- which is better can anyone tell me ? Or what should i have in this case ? 2) 256 MB of Ram or any suggestions on this or 248 MB of Ram ?? 3) Internal Hard Disk Drive -- 160 GB or should i have less ? 4) CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive175 x 414 x 387 mm or anything for a Home User. 5) And the latest Windows - XP Package or Windows Vista -- Please advise on this too ?? I am totally Hardware and Software Illiterate so please advise on all matters. Regards and Thanks in Advance,

Processor recommendation - Intel core 2 DuoRAM recommendation - 1 GBOperating System recommendation - Windows XPBranded PC company recommendation - Dell

It depends , if you need the PC for gaming purposes then a Core2Duo + 2GB Ram + a dedicated graphics card is a must If you need it for normal uses + multimedia uses then a lower end core2duo (like E2140) + 1GB RAM would be sufficientIf you need it just for surfing , office related work etc then an AMD Athlon 64 Processor would be more than sufficientregarding hard drives you should get a 250 GB atleast , the price difference b/w 160 and 250 gb is negligibleand as for the cd drive a DVD writer is a must and prices have fallen a lotbut according to me an assembled computer will offer you great VFM

@gabriel36 What is your budget ?
starts around Rs 18000/= pick your dealer .
CITYBUZZER.COM :India Computer Dealers
A visit to Lamington road is worthwhile.
Computer Hardware & Peripherals Showroom at Lamington Road, Mumbai

Any Brand - Desktop Computer - 20000-50000 with User Reviews and Price History |Rediff Product Search

As @manu1991 has suggested, if it is for playing games only, Monitor selected
also will increase the price.

Last but not least , Reserve about Rs 5000 to Rs 6000 for a Genuine OS.

you could get an indian brand like zenith or hcl. maybe HP or compaq too...i would recommend you visit your local croma or e-zone store and look at the desktops there 🙂

@gabriel thats a vintage configuration ur looking at man..i bought the same config nearly 5 yrs ago..only diff ram was 512 K and HDD 80 GB..i suggest a core2duo processor and atleast 1 GB ramas for the brand the above was a zenith PC and its still running well.

Checkout Dell Inspiron 530s Desktop here.
Recently I ordered for a friend & here is the configuration:

Intel G33 Chipset, Intel Core2Duo E4500, 1GB RAM, Sleek mini tower, 19" TFT with DVI, 160GB SATA HDD, 16x Dual layer DVD writer, USB Keyboard-Mouse, 19-in-1 card reader, Windows Vista Home + few software goodies + shipping + installation + 1 year support.

Total price: Rs 30,400/- in Bangalore.

i would also vote for the Dell if you dont mind ordering online and getting it shipped.if you need to look and touch before buying, get an HP after checking it out in a store 🙂

Dear Friends,

Many Thanks for all of your Recommendations. Presently, I have an assembled LG which i bought in 2005 and has been causing me a ton of problems.

That is why, I am looking forward to or i am positive towards a "Branded Compaq Presario PC".

I am looking for a Compaq Presario PC with Windows XP preferably -- Will that be a problem ??

I am looking for something like this with Windows XP :

Compaq Presario SR5100 PC series overview - HP Home & Home Office products

I am not familiar with Windows Vista at all.

My Budget is anywhere from 19,000- 25,000 for a Branded PC.

I have been having problems after problems with my assembled PC.

Regards and Thanks to all of your suggestions.

P.S. -- which is the best of all the PC's in India Compaq Presario, HP, IBM, etc.

BTW, a friend who ordered from Dell online got a defective Laptop which was not hers that she had ordered -- it was someone else's order from their manufacturing unit in Chennai.

Umm, ok so I have to buy a branded PC for a relative. He insists on branded one.Another reason I am not insisting for assembled is if its assembled and some parts goes bad then I will have to do hard work of replacing it.So any recommendations? Budget 30-45k. Cheaper wud be preferred but not with outdated config.3 year warranty wud be preferred but 1 yr wud do too. (shud be onsite warranty and on all parts)Onsite visit shud be within a day or two i.e immediatePlease suggest a brand based on ur experience.

Now what is this "return to bench" thing?

----------

ok got it, if any part is faulty and cant be repaird on site.. they will take that part and return repaired one. So just a new name for old type of warranty.