long range wifi

Varma Naidu V

hi,
My cousin stays 500 meters away from my place an I need to share my Internet connection with him over wifi.
Could you please suggest me some wifi routers for that.

On ebay, I found a few wifi routers which have a range of more than a kilometer. But my doubt is, even if transmit my internet over this new wifi router to my cousin's place. Will my cousin's laptop be able to send back the signals for my wifi router?
I mean how to solve this issue?
Should I buy two antennas?
LoS is not that good...................

Instead of investing money on standard wifi router, you should look at the point to point wireless systems. Since there is no way that a laptop will be send back signals to the wifi router over 500mts (1650ft) even with clear LOS. Even if there is a minute chance that it will work, performance will be really bad.
Though you haven't mentioned your budget, I would suggest to have a looks at this device - TP-LINK TL-WA5210G Access Point (costs ~3000rs). You will need 2 of them on each end. This is the most neat and reliable way of doing it which will offer good performance in case you ever want to do a lan to lan data transfer wirelessly. You can try by ordering one to check if it works somehow since it has a high power transmitter but I would still recommend 2 for peace of mind.

rj27 said:
Instead of investing money on standard wifi router, you should look at the point to point wireless systems. Since there is no way that a laptop will be send back signals to the wifi router over 500mts (1650ft) even with clear LOS. Even if there is a minute chance that it will work, performance will be really bad.
Though you haven't mentioned your budget, I would suggest to have a looks at this device - TP-LINK TL-WA5210G Access Point (costs ~3000rs). You will need 2 of them on each end. This is the most neat and reliable way of doing it which will offer good performance in case you ever want to do a lan to lan data transfer wirelessly. You can try by ordering one to check if it works somehow since it has a high power transmitter but I would still recommend 2 for peace of mind.
rj27 said:
In the technical specs, It says that it has a range of only 60 meters

Perfect clear LOS is not necessary but their should not be so much obstacle that signal doesn't pass through. These are typically mounted on the rooftop to shoot at each other, sometime a pole is required to get the extra height. But if the buildings in between are too much taller and block the view completely then I am afraid no wireless solution will work.
These device are designed to work for 4-5 kms in urban environment and probably 10-12 Km in rural environment if mounted on proper height. In your case the question remains the height of buildings in between. If you and your cousin can spot each other's roof from your respective houses, then it will surely work.