Locked out of router. Don't know password. New BSNL FTTH connection.

• Thread starter Thread starter shin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 52
  • Views Views 22,914
ISP
BSNL BharatFiber
The BSNL guys changed the default password of the router and they aren't letting me the new password. I can't reset the router as I don't know the configurations or even the PPPoE username & password.

I've called them a few times but they just keep avoiding by saying they'll tell me later.

What should I do.

Solution
Alright now I have access to my router. I was busy with work and all so I didn't bother digging more into it or making complaints.
I was told the password by another bsnl user who happened to look over the shoulder of bsnl guy changing it. Which happened to be the bsnl guy's name.
I'm definitely gonna tell that guy at his face the next time we meet.
But now I have all the required credentials and I've taken a backup of the config and everything.
@sanke3 I was going to use it in bridge mode to begin with. I already had a good router. They didn't let me at all. They gave me a wifi modem instead of a simple 1 ethernet port one that I asked for.

as for the pppoe username, what I saw them type in was "something something @eid_ftth something". It was kinda long.

Every time I call them they just avoid questions, hang up quickly or they tell me they'll call me back later.

@varkey https://fuptopup.bsnl.co.in/ is not working. It says "Location not found using Framed IP Address".
Also trying to change pppoe password from Selfcare portal also takes to the same place so can't do that either.

Upvote 0
When i took bsnl ftth, i got an email from bsnl stating my account details which included telephone number, customer id, billing id and plan details. So you must have got that as well. And usually the pppoe username is customer's name first two alphabets, then area std code without zero, then landline number, then underscore region (n- north, e-east, w-west and s-south) followed by id@bsnl.ftth.in

Password is password, but the only thing required is your VLAN id and if you have landline setup as well,that would be quite difficult to get ip details of.

AA+STDCODE+LANDLINENUMBER_nid@bsnl.ftth.in

Upvote 0
Well tbh, whatever their reason might be to not to disclose user creds, they are behaving inappropriately without any regards to your interpersonal relationship with them for years.

So I suggest you as you have no alternatives, except to intitiate formal request at exchange to help you configure the Router. They might ask why(@Exchange) and you have to give them the same reason:LCO Behaviour .
^Don't avoid this, if LCo doesn't extend any courtesy despite all that, then you don't have to .

So it's better you initiate a formal complaint at the Exchange under a garb of request :
"Hey I need your help to re-setup my internet and phone as my LCO is not being helpful and cooperative with me. They have denied to give me my rightful user credentials despite several request and they have changed the router password on the ONT I brought from them without my permission....<info>...As such I request you to kindly look into this matter and take appropriate actions ASAP."

with the info and then escalate it further to pgportal.

A minor correction to anubhav: it is '@ftth.bsnl.in'

VLAN id is 152 to 153 for most of teh bsnl LCOs(They don't change the vlan as per their choice 😛)

Upvote 0
1591277929400.webp

Is this enough information to set it up myself?
I still need to figure out my pppoe username tho.

I tried @anubhav11's format (with '@ftth.bsnl.in') in many different combination but none of it worked in https://redirect2.bbportal.bsnl.co.in/portal/home.do
Does this portal work? BSNL has a million portals for the same thing.

Upvote 0
@shin If you got the connection recently, may be wait a month and then check on the site again. It's like @anubhav11 said, initials of name+surname followed by area code and phone number without 0 and underscore region(east for me)+id (eid) @ftth.bsnl.in. I think on user credentials you can change the LAN and WLAN settings but if you need bridge mode then you have to login with admin credentials.

Upvote 0
View attachment 2200
Is this enough information to set it up myself?
I still need to figure out my pppoe username tho.

I tried @anubhav11's format (with '@ftth.bsnl.in') in many different combination but none of it worked in https://redirect2.bbportal.bsnl.co.in/portal/home.do
Does this portal work? BSNL has a million portals for the same thing.
Your vlan is 220. Now you only need is userid. But still voice will be difficult to setup as only the ip is visible, most probably the gateway will be having ip ending with .1
You can even directly contact your bsnl exchange to provide you with your username.

@shin If you got the connection recently, may be wait a month and then check on the site again. It's like @anubhav11 said, initials of name+surname followed by area code and phone number without 0 and underscore region(east for me)+id (eid) @ftth.bsnl.in. I think on user credentials you can change the LAN and WLAN settings but if you need bridge mode then you have to login with admin credentials.
Yes, but once he knows the credentials he can simply reset the router and set it up in bridge mode.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem. Initially I was able to connect using my password say- ABCD. But after the modem rebooted following a powerfailure, it would not allow connection by wifi. I connected using ethernet and changed the password. But it did not help in WiFI connection.
While refreshing the page of WPS configuration page, a new passowrd say WXYZ appeared. Now when I use it to connect by wifi, it works. The vendor when contacted says that the modem password is set from BSNL server and so it cannot be reset here. I am surprised as WiFi password should be accessible by user only. Anyways this is how I got WiFi working.

Attachments

• Screenshot (333).webp
    Screenshot (333).webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 366
Upvote 0
Alright now I have access to my router. I was busy with work and all so I didn't bother digging more into it or making complaints.
I was told the password by another bsnl user who happened to look over the shoulder of bsnl guy changing it. Which happened to be the bsnl guy's name.
I'm definitely gonna tell that guy at his face the next time we meet.
But now I have all the required credentials and I've taken a backup of the config and everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution