• Thread starter Thread starter techtata
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2,959

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Hi,Big ISPs like Reliance, AirTel provide cable broadband with speeds of 1 Mbps/ 2 Mbps/ 4 Mbps etc, but these high speed connections generally have a monthly download limit of say any where between 4-8 GB. Thes ISPs do provide unlimited data download but they have this so called Fair Usage Policy or FUP, which actually limits your data download per month. So they can't be unlimited in any sense.Wireless USB modems such as Tata Photon Plus, Reliance Net Connect provide unlimited data download, but they reduce the speed once you have reached a certain data download limit of the month. In short these days ISPs either provide you speed or data, but not both. This is a sad scenario in India to say the least. Here is where the smaller, lesser known ISPS such as Swift Net in Mumbai come in the picture, which as per a friend of mine, provides a 1 Mbps unlimited data download package with no FUP whatsoever at 1500 rupees per month. They actually have a package for 6 month for 9000 rupees.My friend with this 1 Mbps unlimited data package has oftern downloaded more than 100 GB per month (he downloads Linux OS etc from the net quite often, being a techie) and watches a lot of YouTube videos etc on a daily basis. So he he quite happy. Do you have a connection like this from a lesser known local ISP? If yes, then what it costs like? Thanks.

Yup I have used one of the local ISP's. I have been very much satisfied. they provided 1MBps in only Rs- 800/- per month and really unlimited package. i have one month downloaded 180GB.But for more speed than 1MBps, it may be difficult to get local ISP with unlimited data plans (cheap).

hah. local cable operators are local cable operators. service and tariffs would range from one operator to another. and in fact, one customer to another. wiring would probably be hanging on trees and poles. there would be no accoutability. no customer support after 6-7-8PM.

wiring would probably be hanging on trees and poles. there would be no accoutability. no customer support after 6-7-8PM.
Ya, exactly. Very unreliable connection. The thing will probably go down when there's a power cut in your area. I wouldn't go for local ISP. I might try it sometime in the future but I'm not sure. :notallowed:

1 MBps in only Rs- 800/- per month and really unlimited package. i have one month downloaded 180GB.

Thanks a lot, really interesting piece of info from you and other respondents...

Local ISPs do give cheaper net but if you have problem in connection after 8PM or so, you HAVE to wait till next morning till 11AM or so to register a complaint and 1-2hrs. after that to rectify your problem.