Loading blocked URLs is apparently punishable by 3 years jail and Rs. 3 lakh fine in India

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 55
  • Views Views 8,607

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Beware! It's 3 years in jail for viewing torrent site, blocked URL

"This URL has been blocked under the instructions of the Competent Government Authority or in compliance with the orders of a Court of competent jurisdiction. Viewing, downloading, exhibiting or duplicating an illicit copy of the contents under this URL is punishable as an offence under the laws of India, including but not limited to under Sections 63, 63-A, 65 and 65-A of the Copyright Act, 1957 which prescribe imprisonment for 3 years and also fine of upto Rs. 3,00,000/-. Any person aggrieved by any such blocking of this URL may contact at urlblock@tatacommunications.com who will, within 48 hours, provide you the details of relevant proceedings under which you can approach the relevant High Court or Authority for redressal of your grievance"

If acessing using VPN , How they will detect that I am viewing a blocked website ?

people who are using tor or VPN are of course likely to be more protected. the point here is the language. the message would only be visible to you once you load one of the block urls. if the law indeed has such punishment for loading a blocked url in your browser, you have basically committed the offence by reading the message on the blocked website. from my understanding.

also of course. if your pc/phone has been seized in some other offence and these urls are found in your browser history, you could go to jail for loading these urls even if you get free on the original offense? again i assume. speculations.

Btw my understanding is that under this law even photocopying books buying pirated CDs all is punishable as it is under copyright law of 1957.

that would require someone to go through all the acts mentioned in the message from tata. either the punishment always existed or tata is just bluffing to scare people away on their network. reliance still show the regular one line message right now on boingboing.net.

Utter non sense. First of all even doing a google for a free VPN will help you access any blocked website on the internet. Over that I have received the blocked url message a million times and have never received any warning from either my ISP or Government.

just because it hasn't happened till now does not mean it would not happen in the future.

well. you are responsible for the action if you accidentally hit someone with a vehicle lol. or someone just jumps in front of your car while you are driving.

yes. i understand that the law is old. but the punishment appears to be new. i doubt they were going to penalize the offender Rs. 3 lakhs 20 years ago for photocopying a book.