• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 3,783

caterpillar

ISP
MTNL
Is there a lo-fi version to this forum?

The only lo-fi I get is this https://broadband.forum/sitemap/

Click on any sub-section and you're still in lo-fi. But click on a thread and you're taken to the full version.

Sure those avataars, smileys, and signatures with life-size pics are a treat, but I could do without them.

Then, if I ever want to use the advanced features of the forum, I could always switch to the full version.

as I understand , there is no lo-fi version at present for
this site . however one can switch off the avatars , the
signatures and the images from user control panel . or
use firefox / opera to block the unwanted elements !

https://broadband.forum/profile.php?do=editoptions

There is a lo-fi version! Just select 'Default Style' from the drop down box in the bottom left corner of any page. The page will automatically refresh and give you the lo-fi version.

Default style does look simple but it is not a lo-fi version , its just default VBbulletin theme and consists of images . see sitemap url to see what he means by lo-fi . I see that google also lands on lo-fi version from search on most forums , but clicking links of broadbandforum.co in google displays full version always .

No Apporv , the default style is vB default (blue) skin .

I just stumbled across the lo-fi version for this forum!

https://broadband.forum/sitemap/?pda=1

Or click Archive at the bottom right of any page and then click PDAon the top-right of the site map.

I've always used the sitemap... just never bothered to click PDA

You won't see it if you're logged in already.

^ I didn't get it ...
Edit : so if we are already logged in then we have
to logout to see the PDA / Lo-Fi version - strange !

For some silly reason, if you're logged in, you can't get the lo-fi version. Log out, go to the sitemap, click on PDA (you should see it now).Don't log in yet!Click on a Sub-section, and then a thread... you'll get the thread in lo-fi.It's good enough for me if I'm just browsing through old threads.

Yah i think thats the reason its only for unregistered users . You cant make post from lo-fi versions at all

crap. so unregistered members can access the lo-fi version using the PDA mode! this is bad. 😛

^ well ! unregistered can also view the full version
without any restrictions on viewing . why should
they go for PDA version ... Actually Lo-Fi version
should be made available to the registered members .

Lo-fi mode is actually implemented in most forum software to facilitate search engines ( and save bandwith hogging by them sometimes ) . They forget that theres are people who has very high speed plans with extremely pathetic download limits 😀 . I think IPB also doesnt allow lo-fi version for registered users .

Lo-fi mode is disabled specifically to prevent duplicate content penalty. but looks like its a bug that unregistered members can still access it.

Hey now don't get any ideas to disable it altogether. It's a nice clean and fast way to access these forums pages for those without fancy computers and with data download limits. Could you reverse the way it is now?Like from the sitemap, if you login, then u continue to get it in lo-fi.And if you don't, then it takes you to the regular full version.Would also make sense for registered users who actually use this on a PDA.