Little primer about Jio Fiber please

arijitmitter

ISP
BSNL DataOne
Hi folks,

Back after a long while.
To make a long story short .. I had BSNL broadband, got rid of it in 2015, got a local cablewallah LAN based unlimited 4 Mbps plan, got rid of that last year and using Jio Fi router since then.
Got myself a smart tv last week and Netflix guzzles GB. Cant use Jio Fi 3 GB/day plan for it or even 720p YouTube.

Right now I am paying cablewallah 400 for SD cable and Mukesh bhai 401 for 3 GB a day.

Jio Fiber is offering 399 + GST = Rs 470 plan 30 Mbps and I think 3300 GB a month (correct me if I am wrong)

Queries
1. Is it 3300 GB at 30 Mbps or is there an FUP in fine print?
2. What about torrents? Does Jio Fiber allow them? Jio Fi does.
3. What is an ONT modem? Why does it say Wifi Modem? Only a router can have wifi. Is it a modem + wifi router in one chassis?
4. What is a Jio 4K Set Top Box? Why do I need it?
5. Does Jio give me cable channels? Such as BBC World, BBC Earth and Star Sports? How?
6. If I have my own Netflix and Amazon account do I need their OTT plans with 11 apps? Not to keen on desi content.
7. Is Jio network relatively dumb or collects info like Facebook.
8. Does it allow free VPN like Opera to work?

Would probably have more questions later. Should I ask them anything when I get a call back? Any trick questions? Like S/N ratio etc?

Regards,

I will try to answer the questions which I have knowledge about.

1. Yes it is 3300 GB per month at 30 Mbps speed.
3. Yes it is a modem + wifi router as a single device.
4. The Jio 4K Set Top Box is provided so that you can watch the OTT content (live TV channels, movies, web series, etc) which Jio bundles along with its plans. It is useful for people who do not have a smart TV since connecting this set top box to the TV basically makes the TV work as a smart TV.
5. Jio allows you to watch live television channels through the OTT apps which it provides. It still doesn't provide channels via a cable service yet. So only those channels which are available on the OTT platforms can be accessed. For instance, you can watch BBC Earth because it is there on Sony Liv and can watch Star Sports because it is there on Hotstar. But you cannot watch some English movie channels like HBO, Movies Now, etc. because they are not available on any OTT platform.
6. If you already have a Netflix and Amazon Prime subscription and do not require other OTT apps, you can stick with the 30 Mbps plan.

I have answered to the best of my ability. If any further doubts regarding my answers, you can post.

Last edited:
Thanks.
So basically Jio OTT is the only way I can ditch the cable guy. Outgo is much more with Jio 999 plan + GST at 1180 vs cable @ 400 + Jio 399 plan + GST at 900.
280 bucks is about 30% more.
Its better because Mukesh bhai wont be able to sustain this price point for long. And the local cable wallah would have blacklisted me when Jio raises the 999 + GST to 1199 + GST
Also, I hedge against Star Sports or any other sports channel falling out with Jio that way and get local news channels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you already have a smart TV, get Disney+, Sonyliv and Zee5 annual subscriptions. would cost average less than 200/mth for all 3. Reduce your cable plan to free channels, around 150/mth and get Jio 399 plan.
Total cost would be around 800~850/mth

This will be helpful for you.
I am also on the same boat. I have not taken STB as I already have Chromecast and use Hotstar, Prime and netflix

I will try to answer the questions which I have knowledge about.

1. Yes it is 3300 GB per month at 30 Mbps speed.
3. Yes it is a modem + wifi router as a single device.
4. The Jio 4K Set Top Box is provided so that you can watch the OTT content (live TV channels, movies, web series, etc) which Jio bundles along with its plans. It is useful for people who do not have a smart TV since connecting this set top box to the TV basically makes the TV work as a smart TV.
5. Jio allows you to watch live television channels through the OTT apps which it provides. It still doesn't provide channels via a cable service yet. So only those channels which are available on the OTT platforms can be accessed. For instance, you can watch BBC Earth because it is there on Sony Liv and can watch Star Sports because it is there on Hotstar. But you cannot watch some English movie channels like HBO, Movies Now, etc. because they are not available on any OTT platform.
6. If you already have a Netflix and Amazon Prime subscription and do not require other OTT apps, you can stick with the 30 Mbps plan.

I have answered to the best of my ability. If any further doubts regarding my answers, you can post.
So we can't watch live TV channels with 399 plans. I thought jio tv channels will work with 399 plans. Do we need to recharge with 999 for live TV channels.

You will be able to watch very few channels with 399 plan in Jio TV+ app. They mostly include free news and music channels. But to watch major channels like Zee and Sony, you will require the Zee5 and SonyLiv subscription which is given in 999 plan.

(You can find many videos on YouTube which show what all channels can be played in 399 plan)

Thanks will check on youtube. I was planning to remove Tata Sky from my house. Currently paying 600 per month 300 for live TV channels in primary box connection and 300 for firetv stick tata sky edition which includes 10 apps excluding prime and Netflix. 600 for Airtel wifi connection. 800 for netflix and 1000 annually for prime. No idea how to do cost cutting. 🤔

Also can you please tell me weather OTT apps in 999 plans only works on jio 4k stb or it will work on multiple devices.? Because Sony Liv and prime comes with multiple screens options.

I have mentioned that here.
This was very informative. 👍