List of VoNR Smartphones in India?

is VoNR really necessary? isn't VoLTE good enough? also can it be activated by OTA update on iPhone 12?

VoNR would probably cause less battery drain as there would be no switching back and forth on 4g network for calls

As in OnePlus, you need to toggle the VoNR switch in Oppo phones as well in developer options. More importantly the phone stays on 5G when a call is connected unlike my other Redmi K50i where the turns to 4G for calls even when the VoNR switch had been enabled

VoNR and VoLTE are two different entities but smartphone companies needn't show the difference on their phones. Sometimes the indicator may not change from 5G to 4G even though the phone is switching back to 4G during calls.

Your data service and your voice service are executed separately on your phone, and the preference is left to the phone to choose. At this stage its possible you're connected to a 5G network for your data service but in the background connected to a 4G network for your voice service - even if the operator advertised a SA network. The reason for this is that 5G has many variations of implementation. An SA network can use the EPC (4G core) to transmit the voice call while using the 5GCore to transmit signalling information and regular data packets.

Since there are a mix of possibilities, and every possibility cannot be reliably indicated by the device, its pointless to try and figure out these details on your phone using an app or the phone's indicators.

"connected to a 5G network for your data service but in the background connected to a 4G network for your voice service"

This is not possible with SA it directly either switches totally to 4G using EPS fall back for voice calls or uses VoNR if phone supports and network support at the time.

For now VoNR has been stable only in their Ericsson circles whereas Nokia it works randomly on some towers

What I cant understand is if volte is also ip based unlike 3g/2g voice which was circuit based
then why cant it work over 5G which is another data network ?

@Rehan Kumar Why is it not possible? It shouldn't happen theoretically in pure SA but if the IMS stack on the phone isn't configured to accurately reflect the background processes going on, you're going to notice your call getting connected even though the network is on 5G, when in fact the call is using the EPC. 5G implementation is upto the operator and even those who claim pure SA rollout often have VOLTE in most places. I'm not ruling out the existence of VoNR. It's just patchy atm.

@igloo It's the same really. It's all SIP and RTP streams. Just different based on the RAN it uses and the core it uses. It can be mixed and matched and used as it suits the operator. You can use 4G core with 5G RAN and vive versa for cost saving purposes now. Eventually they're expecting everything to become 5G RAN and 5G core with pure VoNR