List of datacards working in Linux

• Thread starter Thread starter Sai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 4,976

Sai

ISP
Tata
Please post names of data card manufacturer,model number which work/ won't work in Linux. And also mention whether data card works out of box or requires any tweaking. This would help people who use Linux and planning to buy a data card.Manufacturer- MicromaxModel- MMX 310GCarrier- BSNL 3G.Working condition- Plug and play doesn't work in Linux. Tried in Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.10. I even tried the Linux Connectivity Suite sent by Micromax, it didn't help. The OS doesn't detect the data card at all. I was told to install USB mode_switch in Ubuntu, yet to try it.

Tried all possible ways. No use. Does MTS Mblaze/ Reliance Netconnect/Tata Photon work in Ubuntu without any tweaking?

Threw that shit at BSNL office. Bought Tata Photon+.Name of the Manufacturer- Huawei Carrier- Tata Docomo Photon+OS- Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric OcelotWorking condition- This device just works out of box. Just plug-in modem into your Ubuntu PC. Wait for around 1-2 minutes to modem get ready. Then go to Network connections>Add mobile broadband> Select Tata Indicom(Photon+) and save it. Then right click on Network connections icon (on top panel) Select "Enable Mobile Broadband". You will be connected to the web now.

Here's my list:

Huawei UMG 1831 - flawless
Huawei E173 - flawless
This Tataphoton datacard - works with network manager, didnt manage to find wvdial script for this though, but does not show signal strength

Visontek datacard(don't know the model number) - patchy; no default drivers from linux, but works find if you install their connection manager software, but the software damages Qt shared libraries and resulting in VLC and many other applications not opening!! Only removing the application solved the problem. If we can find a way to install the drivers only without the entire software, this modem would be great.

Mine: Huawei K4505(Vodafone unlocked) - works flawlessly in Debian/Ubuntu.

Remember to, clean unmount("Safely remove" ) then only pull out the datacard or any usb cards in Linux or other os including windows. Here, this datacard(K4505) needs some commands issued to unbind and unmount so as the Huawei K4505 icon disappears in the page "computer:" in nautilus or other file browsers.

Debian User Forums • View topic - "Safely remove" equivalent in CLI?