Linux to Be Installed in Every Russian School

i am on linux for economic reasons. my 4 year old machine with upgraded 1 gb ram would suck on vista 😀

A nice feature. When I type a followed by k, it becomes Apoorv Khatreja automagically. Some find and replace algorithm at work.
:rofl:

As I have said somewhere already (that was a slashdot link I believe), that fellow is crazy. Lack of alternatives is bad. Too many alternatives might be worse.

In linux , too many alternatives aren't bad most of distros have specific purpose except top dektop one's . But having almost all alternatives on 1 pc is absolutely bad 😛 Heck if this gets popular grub developers will have to add some search and filter function 😀

My views on Windows v/s Linux

There are good reasons why Windows works for most people.

[*] You can manage with basic knowledge.
[*] Tons of software - paid and free are available for the same.
[*] It runs on reasonable hardware (I have heard that even Vista w/o Aero runs on decent hardware, no experience of the same).
[*] It is a good target platform for software developers coz they more-or-less know what to expect. Win32Api, MFC, DotNet is enough to program nearly anything for Windows.
[/list]I can't (necessarily) say these things about linux.

[*] It is too complicated for most people, starting with the ui. Ubuntu and recent distros are some what easier, but linux still has some way to go on that front.
[*] Have to say that lots of free software is available and some paid ones too.
[*] Is similar to Windows. Some distros can manage on reasonable hardware while some are just as resource hungry as Windows.
[*] Where are the software developers who are making money selling software to linux users? If I can't sell software, how will I eat? It is easy to talk about open source when you work for IBM, Sun and Google and they are paying the salaries. What about the regular custom software developer or the small products guy?

Since I am a capitalist, I would say, let them compete in the market. And if they end up on the losing side, so be it. That is what will happen, sooner or later. If and when Microsoft goes out of business, it will take at least 5 million software jobs (I have pulled the figure from the air, but I think it is a reasonable figure), including small software businesses, with it.

The GPL etc is fine. I myself use lots of GPLed/ Open Source Software (coz of economic as well as it-is-really-good reasons). I have my share of problems with proprietary software. But cursing it just for the sake of doing so is not cool.

People want software that helps their business run without problems. They do not care too much if it is proprietary or Open Source (some people have started caring about ownership of their data though). I have tried (not too hard, I have to admit) modifying Open Source software to suit my purposes. It is not an easy job, especially when you are pressed for time. Figuring our what piece of code does what can take ages. Sometimes, writing fresh code is simpler coz it is your code and you will understand it better. There are a few projects, however, that have excellent documentation, and that makes life incredibly easier.
[/list]I would like to think that both will co-exist and Linux will slowly take over. Sooner or later, software developers will have to move over to linux programming and we will see more and more proprietary software on linux too. The only redeeming factor will be that the basic platform will be free and that will prevent crooked activities like drm.

You can manage with basic knowledge.Umm. that depends. we are mostly a windows os fed generation. but if people are introduced to computers through linux directly. i think this is not relevant.tons of free softwares are available on linux. most of them are easily findable and installation through internal application. not such a case with windows.umm linux can run on slow machines. you just have to sacrifice the glitter. and i am talking about GUI here. xubuntu can run great on machines which would suck on xp.

BEGIN_OFFTOPIC
@Apoorv Khatreja

@gregory house
I really don't like people shortening my name. My name is the only thing that belongs to me and I am proud of, too....

@gregory house
Too much philosophy for me, perhaps. Didn't understand what you were aiming at.
I think I agree with you. Probably it doesn't matter.

I do not like leaving things out to hang. Incomplete issues bug me. So I want to wrap this one up.

I may have just given the wrong impression when I talked about people and the futility of convincing them. I never meant that a name is not important. It might actually be the most important thing in this world.

I would suggest that you read Anthem. It is the only Ayn Rand novel (that I am aware of) which is in the public domain. It is a very small book (about 100 pages I think) and it is precisely about this issue - the gradual loss of identity till none remains, and the struggle to regain it.

It begins like so:

It is a sin to write this. It is a sin
to think words no others think and to put
them down upon a paper no others are to see.

END_OFFTOPIC

I think I agree with you. Probably it doesn't matter.

What I meant here was that maybe my name is really important to me, and it would be wonderful if everybody would respect it, but after a point of time, it just doesn't matter. What matters is that I have my own identity, and if people can't learn to respect it, I don't give a s**t.