• Thread starter Thread starter techtata
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,122

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Hi,I am likely to buy an external hard drive with 1 TB capacity so that I can install different Linux distros and boot my pc into Linux (once BIOS is set) even at my friend's place. Do you think using an external drive to install and learn different distros is a good idea? Are internal hard drives any way better than external ones when it comes to using them with different Linux distros to learn things? Thanks.

You just want to experience it learn using Linux, why don't you try live CD or use?

No, live CD is better for initial explorations. Like just looking at the features...Yes you can install Linux in a eHDD, might be slower than loading it from an internal drive. I wont hesitate to try though.I think the only advantage the eHDD will have is, you can quickly format it to install different distros.

No, live CD is better for initial explorations. Like just looking at the features...

I have already installed/tried the followings.

Fedora
Ubuntu
Opensuse
Mint
Debian
Gentoo
Arch
Sabayon

I am not an expert but I have installed different distros to explore a few things. Thanks.

I have already installed/tried the followings.

Fedora
Ubuntu
Opensuse
Mint
Debian
Gentoo
Arch
Sabayon

I am not an expert but I have installed different distros to explore a few things. Thanks.

Cool then you have a 50 or more distros to go 😉

You have tried them on the live cd? There must be one or two you liked right?

Then install it on your eHDD or dual boot in the internal drive.