Linux Mint Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 307
  • Views Views 38,178
I don't know how things work in KDE but if you have installed Mint from the DVD, OO should already be available by default. Anyway, let's not go into that, if the box next to the OO package is not green then just mark it for installation and click apply, see where that gets you, or better yet search directly for LibreOffice in Synaptic.Wait a minute, you say you are already using the OO suite? AAGh, i give up!

Funny, isnt it?? I dont know whats happening. But somehow the system is running all fine apart from such glitches!!

It's not a glitch, you are obviously missing something that's right under your nose! :suicide:

Ok. I will have few Docs/spreadsheets open, & also have the screencap of Synaptic. Will take a screencap & post it tomorrow. Going off now. Feeling sleepy - searching jobs the whole day.......

lol but how !! can you post the torrent link you downloaded from, i will have to give this a try , am putting weezy on my test p.c tonite, will throw this version of mint on my windows p.c and see how it is ticking !!ok tomm then, gn \0

I don't doubt that you have open office installed and are using it, i am just exasperated by your cussed lazyass attitude, why don't you scroll down the whole list of packages in Synaptic, why wont you click on upgradable and watch out for for the packages marked with an asterisk, it's clear that you are looking at the "OpenOffice Suite" package an not checking for the individual Open Office packages like OO writer, OO presentation, OO draw, etc. which is what you already have installed! :weep:

1) I dont post without checking out. Heres the Screencap of it........

2) I scrolled down, and found individual writer, calc & all - everything i checked up before posting. But that is not upgradable. The options that i can select are: Mark for Reinstallation, Mark for Removal, Mark for Complete Removal.

3) I also checked for LibreOffice, but it doesnt exist as any package - neither installed, nor installable.

----------

@ 133t.....

Here is the location: The Linux Mint Blog » Blog Archive » Linux Mint 10 KDE released!

I took the 64 bit version.

If you had checked up before posting why did you keep on insisting that the OO packages were not installed? Never mind, since they are not upgradable there's nothing you can do about it. Seems that all the applications that you hanker after are found in the Gnome version, whatever made you choose KDE? You are spending more time in configuring your system to your liking than actually using it. Now that you have come so far in knowing the OS and how to install it, would you please heed my suggestion and download the latest Gnome edition (DVD version), and for bog's sake choose the 32 bit version this time, Mint 11 is now stable enough, and this time please read the user guide and release notes beforehand, they are on the same page; Download - Linux Mint.
Transfer all your data from the E drive where you now have Mint to your C and D drives, then install Katya on that. Choose manual partitioning this time. Believe me, it may seem daunting but you will be saving a lot more time and effort, also saving both of us from heartburn and ulcers. 🙂

I kept on insisting that OO isnt installed, coz the main Suite isnt appearing "Installed".Regarding choosing this version, well, i just did an "Akkad-Bakkad-Bombay-Bo". I just didnt knew whats LXDE, KDE, Gnome........and i thought there wudnt be any differences. Bottomline - i assumed things, due to shortage of time - had 3 days in which it had to be downloaded & installed.And regarding new installation, well if i can over-write, i can do that. But i dont want to fiddle with the data.Coz in my E Drive, theres about 360-370 GB of data, and on D Drive, theres 340 odd GB of data........that hardly leaves any space for backing up.And its not that i have installed stuff blocking my space. To give u an idea, i have 26 GB of Music - Audio & Video. 134 GB of Movies, 10 GB of Dramas, 77 GB of Old & New TV shows, 38 GB of Cricket related stuff, 15 odd GB of Photos - - be it Family or others. Thats Drive EAnd on Drive D, i have almost 300 GB of seeding torrents, and another 40 odd GB of Downloading torrents.

it does not matter , nearly everything is upgrade able on linux, be it KDE or gnome , they are just desktop environments, tbh kde4.6 looks much better then gnome.

anyway you wanted LibreOffice , here is how , this for x64 too and mint 10 , this will remove OO completely, open terminal

sudo apt-get purge openoffice
or remove from packet manager .

then

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libreoffice

For better compatibility with your desktop environment, you should install one more package

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-kde

sudo apt-get install language-support-en

that's all to it, thanks for the link downloading now , will install later in the day 🙂

and to upgrade OO 1st upgrade repos

sudo apt-get update

and now it will appear in your packet manager. if it still does not the then you have to run distro update by sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I guess this will download the 160 odd MB of LibO right?? Will have to do it when i complete downloading 1 torrent thats neared completion.

I asked on the Libre Office page to give me a ready to run package, and they suggested me to update my repos using this........http://download.tuxfamily.org/gericom/README.html

Just updating here, so that if theres something which i shudnt try, then u can alert me on that.

----------

I rechecked the link & it mentions that the codes are meant for 32 bit versions only......so not for me. I have updated this on the FB page of LibO.

You talking about Linux? I haven't updated my LibreOffice Windows installation from couple of months 😕Last time it screwed my Office 2010 Legal installation, God knows what will happen now 🙁

Actually u seem to have forgotten, that i have Openoffice in Mint, and i want to have LibO.....

To be really honest, I am yet to experience any major difference between OpenOffice and LibreOffice.Unless you are a hardcore word processing person, you should stick with the current version. IMHO.